Civ 'n SMAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 'n SMAC

Since dinosaurs is gone, do you think Sid will still try some kind of sweep of time game? Any mention whether he's still planning to intertwine the Civ3 and SMAC? I think it would still be a great idea.
    Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. And perhaps everyone else, too.

Thank you for asking that question, Sparky! I was wondering the same thing. As a matter of fact, I did a search of the Forum and found little information, especially now that Dino has gone the way of the dodo. If anyone knows, any response, or even speculation is most welcome.

------------------
    "When you have to shoot - shoot, don't talk." -Tuco Benedicto Juan Ramirez
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk." -Tuco Benedicto Juan Ramirez
    "I hate my hat, I hate my clubs, I hate my life" -Marcia
    "I think it would be a good idea."
    - Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Comment

The whole sweep of time thing was simply a Publicity thing. There was no way they were going to be able to play test three seperate games and get you to play a game from dinos to space and make it make any sense. I don't care how great you think Sid is even he can't do that.

So with the death of Dinos, I guess its the death of the marketing tool known as the Sweep of Time Series.
      About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I think tniem is right. Sweep of time trilogy is probably out. Not that it bothers me in any way - I wouldn't have bought the Dino game no matter what anyway (Dinosaur strategy game ? - No, thank you.) and I don't have particular love for future oriented games (ie. SMAC) either.
        Rome rules

Comment

About the Sweep of Time idea, why do the games have to be tied? The just have to be connected by the idea of past, present, future. Does anyone really think that Dino and Civ3 were going to somehow be connected? Civ3 and SMAC don't have to be connected at all. The idea is of an alternative history (sort of like the Marvel, "What if" comic books). Besides, by the very nature of a Civ game, there is no guarantees that the game will end with the Alpha Centauri ending, you could just as likely conquer the world around the time of railroads, Civ3 and SMAC are connected by the idea of "what if" we as the human race destroyed earth but a small group got out? A further thought is I'm confident that Sid will go back either to Dinos (sid wrote that it took a couple of fresh starts before a Civil War game ever got made) or towards making a MOO type game where the "Sweep of Time" trilogy is still possible.

Comment

Maybe dino couldnt be connected but it would be nice if the CivIII endgame was: build and send a spaceship( like civII) with colonizers to Alpha Centauri.
            I play CTP2 Now! And my Login is Pedrunn (with 2 n's).

Comment

Either that or something very similar will be included, Pedrun. The military victory is still there (duh), as well as a new diplomatic victory. (Isn't there an economic type thingy too?)

Sabre

------------------
              "We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything."
              -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

What if the new sweep of time thing goes like this...

1. Civ III
                2. Sim Golf - to many people are playing golf for the world to survive, soon world wars come because of who has the best course
                3. SMAC
                About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Working...
                X