Is the game really ending at 2500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the game really ending at 2500?

I am bringing up this topic, because there has been lots of debate on when the game really ends at 2500. Some people think that it is 2020, and others think that it is 2500, and if it is 2500, then I would think that that would be to late in the game and the game should of ended around 2200.

If the game really ended around 2500, then there would have to be a good exclamation on why it would around 2500. Maybe, Firaxis wants it to end around that time to allow future technologies and other future end of the games. But this is still all unknown.

It would be great to hear from other peoples ideas or if they know anything about this to post what they know!

Otherwise it is still up to debate!!!
    "What is the Matrix?" -Neo
    "The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth." -Morpheus [The Matrix]

As of right now Civ3 will be ending at 2500. Im not going to give my opinion because i think Sid will make it work no matter what.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MarBaS on 05-05-2001 03:49 PM
      As of right now Civ3 will be ending at 2500. Im not going to give my opinion because i think Sid will make it work no matter what.

As it stands; I think it is MUCH more likely that the 2020 AD ending is the correct version. Firstly, read this:

Click on this Apolyton-link: Interview with Sid
      The original Gamespot.UK link is: Sid Meier on Civilization III

Secondly: heres something that Zanzin mentioned in this thread:

"Firaxis have announced in one of the magazines that there will be 4 Ages. This doesn't really take into account a future age, does it? This is why me thinks Civ3 will only play up to 2020. It's probably best this way - I'd hate to see Firaxis screw up civ with future techs like Activision did."

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited May 05, 2001).]

Comment

sid himself said in a interview 2020, which makes sence because every other civ game also did.

Comment

dam you beat me to it, just seconds

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ancient on 05-05-2001 04:38 PM
            dam you beat me to it, just seconds

quote:

,which makes sence because every other civ game also did.

Good point! Also; I DONT think they want to muddle the CIV-timeline and the SMAC-timeline into each other. It just doesnt seems likely. Remember that both games are similar in game-type, and both are developed by one and the same company. They want two in a timeline & era-consistent series: Civ takes care of history and present - while SMAC deals with the SciFi-stuff. Logically, everything really points to the 2020 AD ending as the correct one.

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited May 05, 2001).]

Comment

2020 is way too early. Maybe 2100. You can create some future techs that make some sense - after all, isn't a space ship that lands on AC future tech? Some sensible future techs, nothing ridiculous like half of the SMAC techs, just something to make the late game fun...

Venger

Comment

I think it would be 2050 more likely than 2500. But 2020 is what evey other civ ended at so that will probably be it.
                "Why won't those stupid idiots let me their crappy club for jerks?"

Comment

Civ 1 2100
                  Civ 2 2020

------------------

Comment

Even if the game does go into the future, I bet Sid would make it good! Anything that Sid makes is good, so I don't think that he will mess this one up!

It might be 2050 and not 2500, because the person who wrote it might have made a typo.

If it was 2500, I think that would give you time to discover future techs to build the spaceship, and then build the darn thing! Because I don't think that we would fly thousands of people to Alpha Centari in the next 50 to 100 years.

Maybe in the future he will post if he really is planning on going to the year 2500!
                    "What is the Matrix?" -Neo
                    "The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth." -Morpheus [The Matrix]

Comment

i thought i saw an article posted somewhere that it was 2200ad, thats why i was confused about seeing 2020 everywhere. but this is the first i heard of it ending at 2500an

Comment

the PC Gamer article (the source of this confusion) says, "...all the way to 2500 A.D. (when interstellar travel is possible, and a beautifully rendered spacecraft leaves earth on a rewarding trip to an ever-familiar Alpha Centauri)"

where they got this info, I don't know. whether Sid was firm about his statement, I don't know. whether it is really still up in the air, I don't know. and none of us will really know for sure until (a) someone from firaxis sets us straight, or (b) we get the game when it (finally) comes out and see for ourselves.

on a side note, the article projects a winter release...
                        Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                        ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

well 2100 is almost 2020.. maybe thats why civ1 had hovercraft.. i think the latset they could pull of well is 2050 but i would like if he kept his word and made it 2020

Comment

Actually, the ending date in Civ1/2 depended on the difficulty level you played. (Differing some 20 years per level, thus 2020, 2100 etc.)
                            får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

Comment

Yeah maybe i shouldnt trust the PC Gamer preview, but they said twice in it that it will go till 2500. 2500 or 2020, dosent matter much to me. Im sure it will be fun either way. The pc gamer article also said you can play with 8 civs at once so who knows.

Comment

Working...
                              X