No announcement yet.

Hexes are more fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody remember an old Civil War game, where the movement on the campaign map was actually real? You could move your armies anywhere you wanted, and then depending on size and distance from other armies, battles may ensue. The game was way too easy, after playing it twice I was able to get a decisive victory as the South by 1862 on the hardest difficulty, but the map was really good. Not that this could be applied to Civ without changing it so it barely resembles Civ, but anyone remember it?

Gary

Comment

It does not matter if there are hexes or whatever (octagons, triangles , I don't know/care...), only if they could give me the globe. I am sure that something could be invented. I thought that hexes would solve the whole problem, but if not, put anything else. It's time to abandon that table game aproach any more. If Sid took civ as a table game (as I've been told) and made it more realistic and fun, then he somehow missed to fix the most unrealistic detail.
      Zaki

Comment

Let me do you all a favor and chime in here:

Civ III will be using the same kind of square, grid-based system that its predecessors did. We will *not* be using hexes, nor will we be using any kind of 3D "buckyball" style globe.

Both are interesting ideas with considerable merit, but keeping it simple allows the user to concentrate less on figuring out how to move and more on just playing the game =)

Dan
        Firaxis Games, Inc.
        Dan Magaha
        Firaxis Games, Inc.
        --------------------------

Comment

Thank you Dan, this is the kind of info I always asked: simply tell us when a line of discussion is "dead wood".

May be I like what I read, may be not, but at least I stop wasting my provider subscribtion hours (no free web surf for me)

Now, if I can find enough place to hide away all my globe and hex dreams, or at least stop tearing...

------------------
          Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
          "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
          - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I think the movement cost multiplier of 1.5 for diagonal moves really is worth thinking about. I like the square map better because of the 8 directional movement capability anyway. In Civ2 there were numerous movement multipliers already (Road, Rairoad, Rivers, Terrain, All as road Flag etc.) so I don't think a diagonal movement multiplier would be a big deal to implement and it would eliminate the main (and only?) complaint about Squares vs Hexes: The unrealistic speed of diagonal moves.

Comment

Thanks for clearing this issue up so quickly, Dan. Squares are fine by me and we can spend our time discussing other aspects of the game.
              Rome rules

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Nemo on 03-26-2001 10:15 AM
                Sorry to disagree, but you cannot make a "globe" with hexagons anymore than you can with squares...

Sure you can. And you can do it with squares, too (5 is enough!). Only, it would be an approximation of a globe, but so what?

In fact it's already possible to make a fair approximation of a globe with just 7 hexes, the distortion would be less that the 42% diagonal movement distortion present in Civ so far.

------------------
                If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
                A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Ribannah:

I guess I didn't understand the globe approximation idea?

Sure you can make a cube with 6 squares but then they are layed out as a "cross" with movement off the edges jumping to another unconnected square?

Regular hexagons cannot form a "spherical" volume as 3 touching by the corners become a flat surface (3 x 120 degree angles)

Pentagons can do it however as their angle is less that 120 degrees and they assemble into a perfect dodecaedre (12 sided "ball") which was my point.

I assume in your idea you are "bending" the 6 perimeter hexagons to make them attach to a "South Pole" hexagon.

Anyway this is just theoritical BS since the Civ3 map is going to be a cyclinder without North or South Pole...

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Nemo on 03-27-2001 04:28 PMSure you can make a cube with 6 squares but then they are layed out as a "cross" with movement off the edges jumping to another unconnected square?

I said 5 squares, not 6!

quote:

I assume in your idea you are "bending" the 6 perimeter hexagons to make them attach to a "South Pole" hexagon.

Not quite. All 7 hexes are equally "bended", so the selection of one pole hexagon is random. See my "The Globe in Seven Hexes" thread for more information.

quote:

Anyway this is just theoritical BS since the Civ3 map is going to be a cyclinder without North or South Pole...

There is always Civ4, right?

------------------
                    If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
                    A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                    Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

I know that they already said the way it is going to be, but I was just wondering if anybody here has ever played Command and Conquer? The movement in that game is much closer to real life. I think that they still use either squares or hexes, they make them a lot smaller, so that the player can give the units more than just eight directions to go (because of the smaller blocks the units can take routes that would be inbetween the normal eight moves system. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents worth!!

------------------
                      DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
                      DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
                      EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
                      AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

Working...
                      X