No announcement yet.

Adviser Movies In Civ3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although I liked the Advisor videos, they somehow didn't fit the overall atmosphere of the game. This doesn't necessarily mean that the tongue-in-cheek attidute was distracting, (an attitude which Civ I too had, with more successful harmony) and maybe the reason why I felt this way is because I thought it sounded too much like "So, this is a sequel, it's on a CD, and nowadays games have movie clips etc. so here's some eyecandy." It seems to me that Civ III will a have similar approach, and that'll only serve to increase system requirements and delay the release date. Firaxis isn't only a shrine of game-gods as we imagine it is, but it also is a company that has to think about marketing, so this is how it's bound to be. Sorry if I couldn't express what I meant to express. Anyway. When is the update?
    [This message has been edited by bagdar (edited February 23, 2001).]
    'We note that your primitive civil-^
    ization has not even discovered^
    $RPLC1. Do you care^
    to exchange knowledge with us?'^
    _'No, we do not need $RPLC1.'^
    _'OK, let's exchange knowledge.'

Comment

Well yeah i agree the advisers should be completely re-done with much more interesting speeches, and maybee they don't fit into the game, but that depends on the level of civ3's gameplay.

I think that the advisers in civ2 were pretty awsome at first but when I got bored of them i turned them off, Firaxis should creat more advice for the same thing but implied at different angles and debated differently by the other advisers. I also angree that Firaxis should aim at AI improvments for this feature instead of having them say things triggered by events.

Comment

Gotta believe that some form of advisors are in the game, if for no other reason than this is a sequel that has to be better than previous versions and include what has at least been a part of the previous versions.

Although, I would agree with Yin that quotes would be a good solution to the repetitive nature of advisors.
        About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

If the high council takes up too much CD space, why not only include it on the DVD version ?
          veni vidi PWNED!

Comment

I think the best advice that can be given is what your people want to see done in the nation. Whether this is through advisors, uprisings, or public opinion polls, I want to know what my people are thinking.

Balancing the opinion of the people inhabiting your civ could become a very important part of the strategic element of Civ III.
            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I think they can do a lot more with 90Mb then the silly council - like end of game replay, and more caslte options, and M.A.D. and diplomat scenes, and ... need i go on? the council just wasn't up to snuff - if it was ~10Mb i could see, but 90! too much other, better, stuff can use that CD space

Comment

I like the advisors, especially when they get snippy with one another.

As I mentioned in a thread over in Civ II Strategy, there are a number of clips that remain unseen in normal (competent) game-play. But they are very useful to the beginning player when something is going very badly, as well as being quite funny(IMHO), at least for the first 1000 times.
                The problem is that the Council only spontaneously meets at certain predetermined intervals, and the novice player may not know how to select 'View High Council' when advice is really needed.

I like the suggestion that Sirotnikov made about having the advisors available on their relevent information screens. There could be a text box summarizing their advice, as well as a .avi clip for those so inclined. It would also be interesting if all of the advisors were available (clickable) on city build and research path screens: advice when a (novice) player might really need it. And if Firaxis really wished to make it functional, the player should be able to disagree with the advisor's initial suggestion, and get a second, or even third opinion from them, based on whatever is going on in their (or even other) areas.

Example: Science Advisor
                City Build 1st advice - "Build a library" Fairly standard no brainer.

But now the player disagrees (or clicks on "Speak to me about other matters of importance...)

CB 2nd - "Let us encourage the study of science among the populace" Now advising the player to increase the science rate by creating scientists on the city screen (from the working population).

CB 3rd - "Build a diplomat/spy" Perhaps this city has been recently robbed of some tech, and needs protection, (and let us hope Firaxis fixes the undefeatable tech steal situation ,) or perhaps there is a nearby city of another civ that possesses superior tech...

Same thing for the Research Path. 2nd and 3rd advice may be for a certain Wonder that would benefit their area (maybe even one 2 or 3 techs away), or perhaps a tech that provides secondary benefit to their area.

Of course, this level of AI may be far beyond what Firaxis intends to include in Civ III, but I can dream, can't I?

------------------
                Semper ubi sub ubi!
                [This message has been edited by Juggler_Bob (edited February 27, 2001).]
                Semper ubi sub ubi!

Comment

The High Council was there for a laugh noting more. I never took it serious. I would like to see something one in a while to break up the game. And all of you who played the game already know you can turn it off and on as mush as you like. I would recommend not taking this game so serious. Every game Sid has been associated with that I/m aware of, he has always said he wants his game to be fun and exciting. If a game is to serious and to much of a challenge, a lot people would not buy it because it would not be any fun to play.

------------------

Comment

I think the advisors were very funny and cool.
                    It is true they became annoying and predicted at some stage.
                    So we need text based advisors that will be more complex than the civ2 ones but easier to understand and will sometimes show up on their own without you asking. they should be present at heir screens (ie spy screen, trade screen, military screen) and as a council where they could exchange ideas... meaning you hear all of them and then can ratre according to importance who will you listen to.

It should be a bit more like the SimCity 3000 advisors.

Comment

The stuff about having a second (or third) opinion is really good.

But ofcourse the game itself should retire advices which aren't usefull, I mean, you wouldn't want your science advisor telling you to "build more libraries" when you have universities in all your cities?

I did miss though, the possibility of having more than one solution for each problem. having numerous adiveses is very good.

Comment

I'd have to say yes because they amuse me alot.

------------------
                        Sulla-The last dictator of Rome before Caesar. He changed Rome and Rome sure as hell changed him.
                        Sulla-The last dictator of Rome before Caesar. He changed Rome and Rome sure as hell changed him.

Comment

While we wait for the eventual release of CIV3, I have gotten a little reminiscent and have started playing CIVNET with my friend. On a side line, you can definately tell the graphics have come a long way!! But I digress, my point is that I actually miss having the High Council from CIV2 in CIVNET. However, I much prefer the Palace than the Throne Room...but that's getting into another thread.

Comment

Working...
                          X