Time for new polls...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for new polls...

...especially since the current one is moot. There won't be a workshop in civ3. I've 2 other suggestions, based on current threads:

1) Throne room or Palace?

2) Futuristic tech or no?

The 2nd can be broken down further:
    • future tech ala civ2
    • future tech with small bonuses (+1%/tech to important game areas, reduced costs, &/or some hidden items in FT line)
    • future tech with futuristic names, new units, wonders, etc.
    • NO future tech at all. Diversify existing tech tree!
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

quote:

Originally posted by Theben on 02-10-2001 12:32 AM
    ...especially since the current one is moot. There won't be a workshop in civ3.
    eeer that's the idea. to comment on the decision to have no workshop in civ3...

hold your polls and answers, we'll have a new poll on monday

Comment

quote:

Futuristic tech or no?[/list]

Good idea for a poll.
      Rome rules

Comment

quote:

NO future tech at all. Diversify existing tech tree!

My underlining. I would also add: "and leave SciFi/Fantasy stuff to scenarios".

Its important to understand that the choice between future techs or NO future techs, isnt a choice between more, or fewer tecs.
        NO future techs should mean a more AMPLE and ENRICHED tech-tree, with more in-between techs, within that good old Civ-2 4000 BC - 2020 AD time-frame.

I suspect (and hope) that Firaxis have already desided NOT to implement any hard-to-relate SciFi techs (if so: good!), but it could be fun to investigate how the feelings about future techs in Civ-3, is anyway.

Comment

Very well and aptly said, Ralf.
          Rome rules

Comment

Another good idea for a poll would be the "Most urgent question for Firaxis" Poll. For details of questions see my thread of the same name.
            Rome rules

Comment

Thanks for the support, Roman.

About the poll-suggestion: There are 3 "Yes to future techs", but only 1 "NO future-techs". Unconsciously one tends to look at the 3 Yes-alternatives as the norm, comparing with the single NO alternative. To make things worse they are placed before the NO-alternative.

For best result, there should really only be 3 alternatives: YES, NO or NO DIFFERENCE A small thing perhaps, but these things counts more then most people like to admit.

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited February 10, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ralf on 02-10-2001 11:13 AM
                Thanks for the support, Roman.

Anytime we agree Ralf.

quote:

For best result, there should really only be 3 alternatives: YES, NO or NO DIFFERENCE
                [This message has been edited by Ralf (edited February 10, 2001).]

Indeed.
                Rome rules

Comment

quote:

About the poll-suggestion: There are 3 "Yes to future techs", but only 1 "NO future-techs". Unconsciously one tends to look at the 3 Yes-alternatives as the norm, comparing with the single NO alternative. To make things worse they are placed before the NO-alternative.

Ohhh, that's cold, man, using my own argument against me (in unique units thread). There isn't much difference between people's opinions who don't want future tech (a straight no! answer), but there are differences in opinion on how to implement future tech if it IS used. But it's not like I can't see your point.

How's about:
                  • no future tech; expand, diversify, etc. existing tech tree
                  • extremely limited, as in civ2
                  • somewhat limited; no names and with small bonuses per tech
                  • full blown futuristic techs; names, units, wonders, etc.

This way it doesn't seem like it leans so heavily in favor of having FT in cvi3, at least to me.
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I'm really curious when the next poll starts and what it will be about...

Comment

I started a poll about expanding city radius.
                      Of course, this is not an official one .

The futuristic tech poll could be a good one, too. Anyway, I agree that the workshop poll is a bit obsolate. Mark, you promised a new poll on monday. Well?
                      "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                      --George Bernard Shaw
                      A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                      --Woody Allen

Comment

I'm all for a poll on the type of ego screen, but I would have thought it was more important that it be customisable (and therefore different from game to game) than just asking if we want an interior or exterior picture.
                        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Tiberius on 02-14-2001 03:58 AM
                          Mark, you promised a new poll on monday. Well?

He didn't say which Monday.

Anyways, I'm thinking that perhaps the best solution is for Firaxis to include a whole bunch of futuristic tech , units, etc., that are not in the main game. Then if hardcore futurists or scenario-builders want to use them they can add them in the .txt files or whatever, while us purists can leave them out, with the smug self-satisfaction of knowing that they aren't supposed to be in there anyway.

Comment

http://apolyton.net/cgi-bin/ubb-poll...howBooth&id=19

Comment

Why a poll about palace/throne room? There are so many more interesting issues.
                              Rome rules

Comment

Working...
                              X