No announcement yet.

it's decided: civ3 will have customized units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't like the unit workshop much in SMAC, but that was because of the units were hard to distinguish and they looked utterly stupid. Didn't care much the interface either.

But with more easily recognizable historical units and a better interface I think it will be great. I have no doubt it will be easy to distinguish different chassis from one another, but I'm kind of wondering how they will do it between different versions on the same chassis. I don't want different "main" colors on my unit to do this, it would just look a stupid with a bright red tank. Hopefully there will be an easy and fast way of getting additional unit information.

We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

Purely speculative, but I would hope that certain unit upgrades (spear, bow, crossbow, musket etc) would disappear from the picklist as new techs are found or, even better, when you marked as obsolete all the unit types you had built that used them.

In terms of distinguishing between units, weapons and armour for footsoldiers should be obvious to spot. Modern infantry could have differing camo patterns if nothing better springs to mind. Telling the difference between modern smallarms could be trickier, but then I don't see that as a problem. Cavalry can have visible weapons and armour and change horse colour if there is a movement upgrade. Tanks and artillery can get bigger and more modern looking chassis and larger main guns. It isn't that difficult, really. I'm sure it will become second nature to identify them.
      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
      H.Poincaré

Comment

Unit Customization ala SMAC sounds good in theory....I just hope in practice it is alot more streamlined.

The "retire" function is a must as well.

And if I ever see a Phalanx take out a Battleship in CivIII....I may just have to shoot myself.

Taliseian

Comment

EDITED: Double Post.
          [This message has been edited by tniem (edited February 02, 2001).]
          About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by bagdar on 02-02-2001 07:35 AM
            It certainly is not clear what twin galaxies is saying... The Civ website does mention customisability but not in the way of a unit workshop, as we all know for such a long time. There could be a misunderstanding here. Let's be cautious. Or, the Firaxis site could clarify this issue.

I would have to agree with badgar on this. IMHO I found it almost impossible to follow half of what twin galaxies was trying to say. Hopefully Firaxis will address these issues in their next "Ask the Team" section which of course will be coming in the next couple of days.
            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Just a quick note, as I didn't catch this until this afternoon.

First off, the author of that article on Twin Galaxies was directed to check the website for more information about the game, and he apparently read the Ask the Civ Team section, specifically the question about players being able to create custom units.

He apparently interpreted that answer to mean that we would be including a design-workshop type system in Civ III.

We will *not* be using a design workshop, nor will there be any type of "mix and match" unit designer.

What we said was that there will be significant tools available for mod creators and everyday users alike to create their own units and import them into the game. While the design workshop was an interesting feature of SMAC, its design constraints are wholly inappropriate for a game that covers as much ground as CivIII.

We have sent him an email correcting him and apologize for any confusion that this has caused. As we said in our email to him, our main concern with custom units is to allow maximum flexibility for mod and scenario authors and those of you who've labored on SMAC mods or scenarios know how limiting the design workshop can be. We're aiming for at least the level of customizability that Civ II offers, and then some.

Thanks,

Dan
              Firaxis Games, Inc.

[This message has been edited by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS (edited February 02, 2001).]
              Dan Magaha
              Firaxis Games, Inc.
              --------------------------

Comment

LOL! Thanks, Dan. I sense one of Markos' famous "Quotes from Firaxis" is coming up.
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Woohoo

(yes I know I celebrated for both results (the fake and the actual) but that is because I trust that Firaxis will make that part good and I like both ways of doing it (and I agree with Dan that Civ could not be done the same as SMAC, even though I do think that there could be still a good way for people to design their armies (like 5000 light spear men, 1000 swords men and 2000 bow men) which is why I said it could be cool))

Also note, I think Firaxis would make a good starcraft unique civ likee game, I just think they could do better

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well, people, let's think about it this way... Dan could have catched this debate after 300 posts and 4 flame wars, ten fully detailed models on how do it properly, 28 different suggestions for Chassise, 47 different weapon types, and about a hundred or so different rules and regulations.

Let's say a prayer that it's only been 25 posts, yeah?
                    "The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise" Preem Palver, First speaker, "Second Foundation", Isaac Asimov

Comment

How about a mixture of the two (if it is not too late to implement it). Use the unit workshop for certain things like infantry, cavalry and tanks, but artillary is kind of pointless (at least in my mind) to try and put a chassis on (you would end up with a catapult whose only option is to use gunpowder instead of rocks, then a cannon with two options: to upgrade the gun and to add balistics).

The navy is something else since each unit represented in civ 2 is it's own chassis, practically. (you can't really add a compass to a trimeme and call it a frigate, or add a gun to a cruiser and call it a battleship, or add a platform to a transport and call it a carrier).
                      I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Harel on 02-02-2001 07:40 PM
                        Well, people, let's think about it this way... Dan could have catched this debate after 300 posts and 4 flame wars, ten fully detailed models on how do it properly, 28 different suggestions for Chassise, 47 different weapon types, and about a hundred or so different rules and regulations.

Let's say a prayer that it's only been 25 posts, yeah?

Apparently you missed the part in the Lists and other "300 posts and 4 flame wars, ten fully detailed models on how do it properly, 28 different suggestions for Chassise, 47 different weapon types, and about a hundred or so different rules and regulations" on this forum over the last year and a half.

Well as least we finally have an answer. I thought it might be interesting to see how a unit workshop could fit into civ3, but perhaps it's just as well. It wasn't that important to have, IMHO.
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I agree about the navy, it is a tricky one since ships through the ages have been very distinctive visually. I can see a variety of gun chassis though if you had to trade off gun power against mobility, creating fixed emplacements, rail guns, siege guns and field artillery. It does mean a large number of distinct graphics though unlike the SMAC approach of keeping the same one largely unchanged from start to finish.
                          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                          H.Poincaré

Comment

I for one am very pleased there will be no unit workshop in Civ 3. As Dan said, it fits into SMAC but would not be appropriate for Civ 3.
                            Rome rules

Comment

Yeah, I was kinda disturbed at the thought of it being in Civ 3. As I've said elsewhere -- Thank God and Greyhound she gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X