Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National takeover, 3D and heightdifferences!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National takeover, 3D and heightdifferences!!!

There might be city takeovers in Civ3 as in SMAC and Civ2, but I sometime find it more needy to ask foreign nations to accept total takeover. If you have Imperialism, you know what I am talking about...

Furthermore I would like to see a fully 3-dimensional worldmap - a round globe!!! It would give the gameplay a more realistic touch.

The 3D world would then also be capable of supporting heightdifferences - a total map height of 7 squares, with the fourth in the middle, thus 3 under sea and 3 above the ground. This way submarines could seek "cover" at the bottom of sea and aeroplanes could avoid SAM-missiles at high altitudes.

Not a bad idea for the height differences.

But it would make micromanagement tedeious for air units and. But imagine the stragities!!!! Build Cities on high elevations at choke points so that planes can't enter the main land!!

Well yeah they can fly around.....but that's not the point!!!! It would be really tough on the AI as well. More calculations and stuff.

Anyway, a nice but complex idea.

------------------
    "I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
    "If LESS is MORE, just think of how much MORE, MORE would be!"
    I AM CANADIAN!
    Civfanatics.com Civ 2 Multiplayer Ladder!
    My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
    I AM CANADIAN!
    Gamecatcher: Multiplayer Civ 2 Democracy Game
    CornEmpire Owner/Operator
    Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software

Comment

THis is a great idea!

but planes could ALWAYS fly over cities, no matter what the elavation is of the city. The highest point on earth is the mt. everest, which is about 29,000 feet. there are such planes that can fly at an altitude of 72,000 feet.

also, there would have to be more height squares then that, maybe, 9 or 11., 5 above sea-level, 4 below. Submarines could only sink to the third sea level, because of water pressure, you cant leave that out. THough there could be special subs that could go all the way. cities could only be built up to the 3 square, since freezing tempurtures climb with the altitude. though planes could go all the way to the highest 'height square'. There should also be a way to dig tunnels and such, like bomb shelters, fallout shelters, etc.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Bush on 01-18-2001 01:23 PM
        Furthermore I would like to see a fully 3-dimensional worldmap - a round globe!!! It would give the gameplay a more realistic touch.

The 3D world would then also be capable of supporting heightdifferences - a total map height of 7 squares, with the fourth in the middle, thus 3 under sea and 3 above the ground. This way submarines could seek "cover" at the bottom of sea and aeroplanes could avoid SAM-missiles at high altitudes.

I think Firaxis should decide what to prioritize:

- A turnbased strategy-game, or a...
        - 3D world action-game.

I keep my thumbs crossed for the first alternative.

Comment

Ralf,
          not to let you lose hope, but civ3 will have 3D graphics, and according to the official site, exilant ones at that.

Comment

Attacking from on high should give you a combat bonus, as will defending.

Height should play a role; you should be able to determine the height of your city walls and thus with varying heights have different defense abilities.
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I'm not sure about the national takeover option; but the 3D effects and height ratios have my vote!

Comment

3d map die die die!

Do what Microsoft did in Age of Empires and do 2d scaleable!

NO 3D
                -->Visit CGN!
                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DarkCloud on 01-19-2001 11:39 AM
                  you should be able to determine the height of your city walls and thus with varying heights have different defense abilities.

I don't think the height of the city walls is that important. Of course, you won't build them like fences, but if I'm not mistaken, the most devastating part of the city walls of Constantinople was the short section at the front, where the infantry units were easily destroyed. They are not huge, tall walls, but they withstood the strongest armies for a long time. We could have an option to reinforce the walls, though. (as well as the option to build more than one library, temple etc. in the city)

by the way: I too want a 3D map
                  'We note that your primitive civil-^
                  ization has not even discovered^
                  $RPLC1. Do you care^
                  to exchange knowledge with us?'^
                  _'No, we do not need $RPLC1.'^
                  _'OK, let's exchange knowledge.'

Comment

Working...
                  X