Newspaper Messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper Messages

In addition to the Diplomacy screen, Information pop-up messages in the form of newspaper titles in Civ I was great, and on top of the title, we had great examples of Humor, literally making fun of it all, by hilarious quotes by Attila, Pliny, etc. One thing I was dissapointed about Civ II when I first played it was that it looked too much like ordinary Windows software, in fact I resisted it for quite a while and went on playing Civ I obsessively. Civ I's atmosphere and humor is still peerless...
    'We note that your primitive civil-^
    ization has not even discovered^
    $RPLC1. Do you care^
    to exchange knowledge with us?'^
    _'No, we do not need $RPLC1.'^
    _'OK, let's exchange knowledge.'

Good idea. But perhaps it could just be a toolbar option; or one which you could turn off.
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Oh, yes. Definitely have an option to turn off all the atmospheric extras. But that doesn't mean get rid of them entirely. Keep things like the Throne Room or the Capital, and the High Council or Advisors, and the Newspaper reports, and the Wonder Movies. Those sorts of things add to the excitement and enjoyment of the game for new players. I mean, Civ III is going to have new rules that none of us have ever encountered before, and it will take a few days of gameplay to get used to them. Things like newspaper reports and animated units will keep the game fresh and new while we're figuring out how to really play effectively. Once we get better and start playing to win, we'll probably begin turning the extras off.

(The extras for Civ II were great. I hadn't played the game for a few months, and when I came back, I had fond memories the High Council.)
      "Harel didn't replay. He just stood there, with his friend, transfixed by the brown balls."

Comment

Blimey...This rings some bells...Haven't played Civ I in years!

Yeah, the old newspaper banners were great! I prefer the external views of the Palace as opposed to the throne room, as well.

------------------
        Josef Given
        josefgiven@hotmail.com
        A fact, spinning alone through infospace. Without help, it could be lost forever, because only THIS can turn it into a News.

Comment

Yeah, I loved building my bizzare Roman/Indian/English palace!
          "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
          "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
          "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

There was a discussion about this a while ago. The idea was that the newspaper would evolve, first you would receive town criers, then scrolls, then newspapers, and finally an internet report.

A nice addition to the game that would help the game player and at the same time add an element of each time period.
            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I am in complete agreeance - those bells and whistles (ie, News Articles, Throne Room, High Counsel) help keep the game fresh and humorous at times. Definately keep these options in CIV3. If a player doesn't want it, then he/she can turn the option off.

Comment

Working...
              X