More control over units in tactical combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More control over units in tactical combat

In ctp2 you still have no control over unit placement on the tactical screen, and you are essentially reduced to being a spectator as the battle unfolds. Watching valuable units die because of seemingly random map placement can be frustrating. Wouldn´t it be nice if we could place our units in a gridded tactical screen (and perhaps the battle itself could be turn-based)?

I have not played CTP II yet, but I have posted a thread on kind of what you are talking about, look it up, its called: Combat.

It says it was posted by Tim White.

Comment

Has anyone here played Shogun; Total War.
      It uses a turn based system for most of the game but descends to a full 3D real time tactical battle view which allows you to basically do what ever the hell you like.
      I have two ideas inspired by this;

1::Use a 3D view which is based on the tile the defenders are on. This means a different battlefield for each tile type, which would be about 14-18 or something.

2::Use a 2D battleview, like FALVE'S idea, where you choose where to place your troops, whether you want to try to outflank your enemy etc.

Comment

I totally like the idea of a second battle map, I suggested it in my 'Combat' thread. I have not played, Shogun: Total War. or whatever the name was, but I have played, Lords of the Realm II. it is much like what you described, the actual game is completely turn-based, but then once two armies come to meet, then goes into a battle-map.

Comment

I'm not sure about this. This might be a good idea, as long as it doesn't get too bogged down in warfare. I don't want the game to become Panzer Commander-in-Chief. As long as it's optional, and it doesn't take away from improving diplomacy, economics, domestic affairs, etc. it wouldn't bother me.
          You only live twice; when you are born, and again when you look death in the face.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Rollo Tomasi on 12-20-2000 08:26 PM
            I'm not sure about this. This might be a good idea, as long as it doesn't get too bogged down in warfare. I don't want the game to become Panzer Commander-in-Chief. As long as it's optional, and it doesn't take away from improving diplomacy, economics, domestic affairs, etc. it wouldn't bother me.

Im exactly with you. although I still would really like to be able to command my own battles. If this improvement removes the upgrade of the diplomacy, AI, map, number of civs, etc, then I am like you, leave it out, the AI, diplomacy, units, etc, are much more important then battles screens.

Comment

Working...
            X