Rivers- between, not through, map squares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivers- between, not through, map squares

The concept of a river running through a square completely contradicts the idea of rivers as natural boundaries.
    In most cases, rivers divide nations. It's unrealistic that one nation controls a river and both banks, but one side is just a narrow strip of very good land.
    The idea of a river between tiles allows both bordering tiles to have the inherent benefits. Defensive bonus would be for combat across rivers.
    Should be a movement penalty as well.
    When you laugh, the world laughs with you.
    When you cry, the world laughs at you.

This idea deserves some thought. I think I like it.

Comment

That's one of the best ideas I've heard, especially if borders are in Civ3.

Comment

Good idea. Right up there with having directions for the flow of those rivers.

How would you do food production bonuses then? Just give it to the squares on both sides of the river?

--
        Jared Lessl

Comment

How would you incorporate the movement bonus that rivers give?

------------------
          Pax Vobis.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by FreeChina on 12-07-2000 06:03 PM
            In most cases, rivers divide nations.

Ehmm, no, this is not true, nor is it historically logical. Once a tribe discovers a river, they will naturally settle on both sides of it.

About the only time that a river ends up as a border happens after a war in which neither side was powerful enough to cross.

------------------
            If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
            A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
            Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Big Crunch on 12-07-2000 07:16 PM

I think food and transport bonuses go to the squares on both sides.

Comment

In response to the idea of one tribe taking the whole river, that's what any civ with any sense would attempt to do anyway, planting settlements on both banks up and down stream. However, if another rival were to get to the river at about the same time they would have to share.

Food, trade, and movement benefits apply to both banks. Rivers are that important in history.

Now this idea might be just for major rivers. Lesser tributaries could still stay within a tile.
                When you laugh, the world laughs with you.
                When you cry, the world laughs at you.

Comment

That has to be one of the most obvious, briulliant ideas I've heard in a long time. Why didn't any of us think of that?

People- you aren't being productive.
                  "The free market is ugly and stupid, like going to the mall; the unfree market is just as ugly and just as stupid, except there is nothing in the mall and if you don't go there they shoot you." - P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Excuse me???? I've posted literally 3 different threads on this, suggesting this very topic, do some research.

I agree with this totally.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Big Crunch on 12-07-2000 07:16 PM

I say scrap the entire river-movement bonus thing. Rivers should impede the movement of ground based forces, not improve it. Anyways, what the hell happens with that? Do the troops construct canoes from nearby trees and paddle three squares up the rive in one turn??? I never truly understood that concept in Civ.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Tical_2000 on 12-08-2000 04:24 PM
                        I say scrap the entire river-movement bonus thing. Rivers should impede the movement of ground based forces, not improve it. Anyways, what the hell happens with that? Do the troops construct canoes from nearby trees and paddle three squares up the rive in one turn??? And how do regiments of tanks so easily swim up the river?! I never truly understood that concept in Civ.

Comment

what the? -- oops.

Comment

A lot of exploration was done via rivers. Especially in jungle, and forested areas as it was easier and quicker to do so. You didn't even have to use boats just travelling along the banks and the flood plains where the ground was flatter is enough of a bonus. The obvious presence of water reduced time looking for water to drink.
                            [This message has been edited by Big Crunch (edited December 08, 2000).]
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

So it marginally improves travel time going upstram and greatly improves it going downstream? Ok.

Going across them without a bridge should certainly impede progress, but not by much. It's not going to take a regiment a year (or more!) to build a temporary bridge, after all. Maybe if the military engineers are implemented, one of their their jobs would be to build a one or two turn bridge that the other units can use to cross and not lose movement points. I imagine that's already been suggested somewhere.

--
                              Jared Lessl

Comment

Working...
                              X