No announcement yet.

More on econ, and diplomacy, less on warfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I agree the Cold War was in the defense of wealth, but I would go a step further and say it was also in the pursuit of wealth. The US and other western free-market countries need those markets to export goods to. If they went Communist, the market would close (Cuba as example). So, I would say it was both for defense and acquisition of wealth.

Agreed that the religious ideology is used to justify. Even those Popes, mullahs and priests saw financial benefit of war bringing riches to the coffers of the church (Crusades). Sorry, everyone is corrupt.

Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

I remember last year when Kosovo was in the news, one of the leaders was asked whether peace could ever be reached. He said the problem was not that the religious differences was the REASON for the fighting, he said it was the EXCUSE for it. It's true. Despite beliefs, war is because of selfish reasons. Sometimes it is monetary wealth. Sometimes it is the welfare of family and friends, and sometimes it is foundless fear that these could be in jeopardy.
      Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

You ARE the wise, venerable Dom Pedro!!!

Comment

quote:

There are other causes of war - ideologies and beliefs - just look at the cold war or the current situation in the Middle East. Considering it is these which drive civilisations they should be important parts of the game. The detailed model for religion in the list would add a lot in this respect.

My layman's reason for the situation in the Middle East is still land ultimately.

------------------
          No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)
          No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by UltraSonix on 11-27-2000 09:33 AM
            My layman's reason for the situation in the Middle East is still land ultimately.

Yes, water specifically. That's why Israel doesn't want to give Golan Heights back.

Comment

The ultimate reason for all conflicts is SURVIVAL.

That's why people, countries, empires, companies, etc try to grab more resourses (including here land, water, money, knowledge, even people) and that's the cause also for ideological/religious wars (people defend their beliefs and their way of living).

We all play a big-big CIV game
              [This message has been edited by Tiberius (edited November 28, 2000).]
              "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
              --George Bernard Shaw
              A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
              --Woody Allen

Comment

Just as well we haven't reached the Civ2 AI's "nuke 'n troop" method of waging war...

------------------

Comment

Working...
                X