Feats of Wonder (a CTP2 idea)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feats of Wonder (a CTP2 idea)

I sorry for the following blatant rip from http://www.cdmag.com/Home/home.html?article=/articles/029/087/, but it was just too juicy to pass up. The Admiral pointed the site to me and it actually applies to CTP2, but heh, it's an excellent idea...

quote:

There are also some intriguing minor additions, like Feats of Wonder. If you accomplish a Feat-such as being the first to circumnavigate the globe, discovering the highest peak, or founding a new world-your civilization will get a temporary bonus.

This is a cool idea, and some other examples could be:

*first flight of an aircraft
    *land on the moon
    *your first automobile-unit
    *first civ(s) to convene the UN or its equivalent
    *first crossing of your continent (if it's big)

I've just realises that Civ2 did this sort of thing, but it didn't reward you for it.

------------------
    No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
    [This message has been edited by UltraSonix (edited September 13, 2000).]
    No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

quote:

Originally posted by UltraSonix on 09-13-2000 01:44 AM
    I've just realised that Civ2 did this sort of thing, but it didn't reward you for it.

Actually, it does: there will be an addition to your Throne Room

Now, if only the beauty of said Throne Room would have an effect on the other tribes' attitude towards you ...

------------------
    If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
    A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
    Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

How about?:

-First to break the Speed of Sound
      -First artificial satelite (bleep...bleep...)
      -First human in space

-First to try new form of government (Republic/Democracy/Fundamentalism/Communism, etc...)
      -First to institute a new religion (if religions are implemented)
      -First to enter Medieval/Renaisonce/Industrial/Modern Era

It also seems to me that pretty much all of the technologies could have a small, one-time effect on the first civ to research them. Why should Philosphy be so special?
      "...it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it." Commander Togge, SW:ANH

Comment

Temporary Bonus Ideas:
        1st in flight- You are awarded a veteran airplane due to their intensive training.
        1st to circumnavigate the continent- Awarded 1 happy person in every seaside colony.
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Obviously I haven't seen it in operation yet, but Feats of Wonder sounds like a great idea to me. If it's a success then Civ3 should include it as well. Of course, no doubt they'll call it something else.

- MKL
          - mkl

Comment

Maybe you have to really "fly" an airplane across a continent or the world, over many turns. That would add a dose of realism to the "Feats" concept.

Be wary of adding too many feats, they should be special.
            *grumbles about work*

Comment

Working...
            X