No announcement yet.

More ancient turns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just thinking that Wern's idea is good - wouldn't be great to play Rome as it takes over the city-states near it, and then go onto the larger picture - attacking Europe.

------------------
    No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
    No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

I don't know about the zooming out idea. I think this may over complicate the game or at least the game code. It would make the programming a heaven for bugs and errors.

I do however agree with several points:

1. The BC years usually take less than 10% of the actual game time while they represent 4000 years and the AD years represent only 2000 years.

2. The age of discovery is one of the worse ages from a military point of view. You get only a few new units, as mentioned earlier, and also, those units make fighting impossible. There is absolutely no way to overcome 3 fortified Musketeers in a city with citywalls and barracks. NOTHING in that era can fortify such defenses (unless you play chieftain ). Because dragoons SUCK! and cannons SUCK!

3. The technology rate is often too fast. I suggest we should make modern techs require even more lightbulbs since with less than 30 cities with a good economical status under democracy you discover one tech in 5 turns. which makes building units non profitable since they will soon be considered very old and useless. (I'm talking about king level)
      (I'm still not that good in emperor or diety level )
      [This message has been edited by Sirotnikov (edited August 24, 2000).]

Comment

With a unit workshop like I propose in Unit Modules then extra B.C. turns would be possible because you would have extra unit types to create to fill the gaps. You most certainly should decrease the turn length in the BC eras to a minimum of 10 years per turn.
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I think the zooming out system should ONLY be employed in scenarios, like the Rome thing I proposed above.

------------------
          No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
          No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

If you suggest that the zooming-out idea can be used in scenarios you probably think it’s realizable. I think if it’s realizable it could be an option to use it or not. I’d like to see it, because it gives a more realistic touch to the early eras.
            If it can’t be done it just won’t come, no matter whether people like it or not.
            Still I think that it should be possible to recompute the maps, especially if geographic features, elevations etc. are more like in SMAC and not based on the simple “Mountain-Tile”-thinking.

Comment

Working...
            X