The Civ 3 High Council?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Civ 3 High Council?

How abut it? A Civ 2-esque video council - with the ministers giving BETTER advice,and changing with the governments and age.

Having Industrial factories, and all your HIGH Council in medieval garb, doesn't make sense. Or having a communist government, and the military general speaking like an American...
    Das Wasser soll dein Spiegel sein
    Erst wenn es glatt ist, wirst du sehen
    Wieviel Märchen dir noch bleibt
    und um Erlösung wirst du flehen.

The water shall be your mirror
    Only when it's smooth you will see
    How much fairy-tale is left for you
    And you will beg for deliverance.

'Alter Mann', RAMMSTEIN.

Those movies take up space.

Governments: Let's say 10 for Civ3

Time Periods: I remember 5 different ones were suggested.

Cities Styles: 4.

Movies for each ind. advisor: Let's say 15.

10x5x4x15= 3000 different movies!

Let's just keep them Americanized.

------------------
    The Brain: Weirdo who takes modern culture and stabs it in the eye
    -Founder of DoH!
    -Please pull up to the second window
    -I see dead people...give me my medication!
    -What's your favorite scary mov--Please deposit 25 cents for the next 5 minutes.
    -Visit DoH, or else!
    -How much longer is my sig gonna get?
    -This much.
    The Brain: Weirdo who takes modern culture and stabs it in the eye
    I am the Tofu, you are the Anti-Christ. Goob goob kajoob.

Comment

ok ok...keep them Americans (BUT WITH NO ACCENT!) and have certain things change - like in Civ 2, how icons represented the government (Liberty Bell for Democracy, a star for communism) should be in the movies.

'Alter Mann', RAMMSTEIN.

Comment

You could always merge the military and foreign advisers, since foriegn doesn't seem to do much. Also, Elvis can go. What these two say is usually common sense.
        "The free market is ugly and stupid, like going to the mall; the unfree market is just as ugly and just as stupid, except there is nothing in the mall and if you don't go there they shoot you." - P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

I don't really care whether the council's advice is always spot on or not. Apart from that being too difficult as the Brain pointed out, it doesn't really matter.
          They are there for a comic relief, and that's why I love them. The civ community seems to be seperated into two: those who have all the bells and whistles turned off (council, wonder movies, throne rooms), and those for whom they are an essential part of the civperience. I belong to the latter. Here's hoping for lots of multimedia relief!

------------------
          Hasdrubal's Home.
          Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.
          Hasdrubal's Home.
          Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.

Comment

If they ever implement this feature, Firaxis will have to use more then one CD, or a highly packed CD. Maybe they should just have it culture based, like Asian, European, etc...
            *grumbles about work*

Comment

Hmm..let's see. Supposing that Firaxis will spend another few thousand collective hours on Civ3 before it is released, how much time do you think they should devote to movies? Prioritize, everybody!!!

Comment

First of all, stuff the movies! I don't thing civ3 needs it to have a good game. And second, for the ministers to give good advice, the AI needs to be good. Basically the ministers should examine your empire like the AI is controlling and say what it would do in your place.

And if the ministers turn out to be dumb, then firaxis should remove them completely and just go back to having detailed reports. eg good economics reports, showing which area of your civ is sucking up your money, or having a list of all the buildings that cost more than 2 "dollars" to maintain. I would really love a report that breaks down all your battle history. eg "won lots of battles near now-destroyed Paris in 1782".

So I think having good reports is better than having movies of some stupid Elvis impersonators hogging up the CD.

------------------
                No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
                No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

One idea could be to produce one 'international' version with American movies, and loads of 'national' with movies for the area of sale (hopefully w/o Elvis). It may put up the cost a bit, but we all know they could get a profit if it cost $80 or more just from fanatics like us.
                  Oh yeah, the movies should be government specific- great fascist uniforms!
                  [This message has been edited by Evil Capitalist (edited July 22, 2000).]
                  "The free market is ugly and stupid, like going to the mall; the unfree market is just as ugly and just as stupid, except there is nothing in the mall and if you don't go there they shoot you." - P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

It may help a little to know that only ONE sort of race is required (better if there were more, but thinking realistically), but that instead of recording the same info for every government and time period, have it so that the body movements are the same (for instance, if the Military Advisor raises his hand, his/her uniform would change easily - because using blue-screen technology you would be able to either show a fascist uniform or a Communist uniform!)

Short of that - very good reports, giving out important and accurate facts.

'Alter Mann', RAMMSTEIN.

Comment

I don't know a lot about CD space, but...
                      I bought Shogun recently, and you could install over 1000Mb off of one CD, and the second CD contained over 10 minutes of movies, and lots else besides. If they used DVDs (and let's face it, by the time it's out it will probably be the norm) they could stick in a few extra movies.

Comment

How about this? NO COUNCIL VIDEOS!!! The council videos in Civ 2 were neither comic nor a relief.

The last thing I want is Firaxis employees dressed in togas they got at their local costume rental store "acting" their parts. It just distracts from the game and lowers the overall production value.

Comment

See Firaxis needs to think like Westwood

Kari Wuher

------------------
                          King Par4!!

There is no spoon
                          -The Matrix
                          Let's kick it up a notch!!
                          -Emeril Lagasse
                          Fresh Soy makes Tofu so silky
                          -Ming Tsai

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Par4 on 07-22-2000 09:57 PM
                            See Firaxis needs to think like Westwood

I disagree. I played Tiberian sun as the GDI andthe end sequence was terrible! The bits with human actors were the weak points. However I like te idea of decent, fully computerised graphics (unlike most of CTP, they could have at least not reused sections of other movies.)

Comment

Assuming violant revolutions I would like to see revolution movies. Different for different eras and different sorts of government (eg totalitarian and democratic, I have followed the government thread).

Comment

Working...
                              X