No announcement yet.

My kind of legions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only legions should be able to fortify during ancient era. Other ancient mil units shouldn't be able to fortify so giving decisive defensive advantage to legions will be possible. Warrior or Phalanx units can be stationed settler-built forts as a garrison but not with the ability to fortify itself(they are not educated engineers/fort-builders like legionnaires)

After discovery of "trench warfare" riflemen units may entrench its position which will simulate true static warfare during WWI. (Armour can ignore trench effect by 50%)
    [This message has been edited by Youngsun (edited May 12, 2000).]

Comment

Crustacian, legions where versatile units, I agree, but in game terms we must avoid to build real super unit without some trade-off, just to avoid unbalancing.

I'm almost sure we will have some form of "unit workshop" in CIV III cloned from SMAC. That will let us build up sort of Legion Unit with special features as "road/bridge building".
      I'll start a specific thread about this tonight.

I also think that ability some ancient units are better reproduced with a good implemented concept of "stacked units". Think of an engineer stacked with an infantry units, or bowmans and pikemans, that you can "merge" and command as a single unit.

You can define who are the main defenders (separated from ground/sea defense and air defense, when available), that will take the most of damage (collateral damage will be applied on other stacked units).

This will let you build armies that act as a whole, not as separated bunch of units, so reproducing interesting mix of ability without the pain of separate movement orders, but keeping the expense of the building/training/maintenance of the separated units.

------------------
      Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
      "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
      - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Agreed Adm, I had no intention of suggesting a super unit. But somewhere between that and what it is now.

Legions are very rarely a unit I build, but if they were better, and history justifies the thought...they would be something to actually go for like navigation or tactics, rather than just a thing to fill in on the tech tree.
        This alone could be 1 thing to help offset a game being simply a race for MC. True other things are needed and i appreciate Wonderdogs work on MDL for some options in this way.

Interesting what you guys say about the unit workshop thing...thx
        The journey itself is the thing~Odysseus

Comment

if you look at the history of legions in Rome, you do find that they built or destroyed many things. Legions should really have settler traits as well aside from founding new cities.

However, although legions were powerfull against many units, they were utterly destroyed by the hard charging heavy calvalry.

for civ 3 purposes, i think the legion should be able to irrigare, mine and build roads but not make new cities.

Archers should be range units but also be incredibly weak in the open but on certain terrain, ie mountains, forests, or hills, their defence should be increased.
          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Actualy I like the idea legions who build. Now I don't think they should be as fast at improving terrain as settlers (to help gameplay ballance), but the idea has merit. In fact a modern day version (combat engineers or seebees) would also make sense.
            Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Comment

Dragon-

I was just going to say that there should be the possibility of giving this feature to all units. It seems to me that Roman legions could build these things not because they are legions but because they were highly trained. So this could be something for top notch veteran troops (in old civs) or an addition with Unit Workshop in the SMAC mold
              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

War4ever - how about just build roads? Otherwise the Settler/engineer unit will lose it's purpose and use in the game. Who will build an settler to irrigate when they can build a unit that has a defense of 2 and an attack of 4?

------------------
                ~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

Comment

Working...
                X