U 505 The Power of Fascism - Download Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U 505 The Power of Fascism - Download Thread

For thousands of years, the American people have been devout pacifists. Even persuading them to defend themselves has been difficult enough, and aggressive warfare has been completely out of the question, no matter what the provocation. Sometimes it has seemed as if an enemy army could knock on the very gates of Washington and the most America's army might do would be to smack them in the head with a large and smelly trout, and ask them to leave.

But in recent years, new leaders have started to emerge who are tired of having their beloved nation be viewed with contempt for its weakness. Those men and women desire a new order of things, an order in which weak individuals will no longer be allowed to undermine the power of the State. In that new order, every person will be expected to do his or her part to ensure that America will take its rightful place in the world, or at least die in the trying. If some refuse to cooperate, well, there are ways of dealing with such traitors.

These followers of Fascism are now ready to seize power. It is up to you, as the power-hungry and merciless Great Leader of this drastic movement, to show the rest of the world America’s rightful place as its fistful ruler. If the leaders of other nations are wise, they will surrender peacefully. If not, your scientists have this idea for a nifty little airplane that might help convince them to reconsider.

-------

The goal of this course is to explore the uses of Fascism, a government that most players seem to use rarely if ever. In the process, we can consider whether the current AU Mod version of Fascism is worth considering using at least occasionally or whether further changes are needed if we want it to be useful in more than a tiny handful of situations. Toward that end, players are strongly encouraged to use Fascism enough to get a good feel for what it is like.

Rules:
    1. No offensive aggression* unless Fascism is your current government.

2. The only victory conditions allowed are Conquest and Domination.

3. Automatic A for whoever makes the best use of Fascism.

If there are any questions (concerning fighting or whatever), please post here. Someone will resolve the issue quickly.

* No action that requires you to declare war. No attacking enemy units in their territory, no matter what (and that includes wounded units that just finished attacking you). No attacking cities, even if they belonged to you earlier. No moving units through enemy territory with the hopes that they declare war on you. I suggest that you are only allowed to declare war if you are being directly threatened. This is open to your interpretation of "threatened".

-------

[EDIT: The below paragraph indicates that this course is only available with the AU Mod 1.06a... this was later changed, and there is a stock version of the zipfile further down on this page.]

This course is being offered solely with the AU Mod 1.06. Certain prospective changes to the AU Mod (as of 10/27/2004), some of which have been approved and not yet incorporated, and some of which were still under consideration as of such date, are included, and thus this version is being identified as 1.06a:

* Light (Military Tradition, 5/3/3) and Heavy (Nationalism, 6/3/3) Cavalry, as proposed by nbarclay and fully approved.

* Statue of Zeus and Knights Templar each also act as Barracks.

* Unit support of 0/1/1+15 for Republic and 0/1/1+18 for Democracy (NOTE: This was Theseus' tweak to a government change under discussion).

Additionally, Theseus added a slight surprise that will hopefully challenge the players.

Good luck, good hunting, and may you be "All That A Fascist Can Be"! (tm)

[EDIT: Download is in the next post due to my mis-understanding of 'poly ]

[EDIT: Sorry everybody, but for some reason the tile of the thread is messed up, missing the 'A' in 'AU']
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Download for AU 505

Voila

[EDIT: Replaced with alexman's zip file at 10:49am on 11/30]
    Attached Files
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Theseus:

This seems to be a .biq file rather than a .sav, I'm guessing due to the AU mod incorporations. I'm pretty sure this means it goes in my Scenarios folder rather than the Saves folder, right?

[edit] And all difficulty levels are therefore availalbe, no?
      Drive your cart and your plow over the bones of the dead. -William Blake

Comment

Yes, put it in the Scenarios folder... the only choice is to play as America. This allows players to select their chosen difficulty level.

Comment

Here's a look at the starting position for those who want to see it in advance.
          Attached Files

Comment

Cool position.

Maybe I could recycle this map for an OCC game after the course.

Comment

The catch to this starting position is that it doesn't have any food bonuses, at least that we can see from the starting position. I don't know how big a deal that is in OCC games, but it definitely makes for a bit slower REXing in conventional games. (And the lack of initial food bonuses, coupled with the special restrictions we're playing under, may provide a hint that this may not be the ideal game for choosing a relatively hard difficulty level.) Still, for a starting position without a food bonus, this looks like a pretty strong one.

Comment

I need clarification on the "no offensive aggression" thing.

Is it ok to take cities in peace treaties, if some AI gives them up after (obviously) losing lots of units in futile attacks?

Is it ok to pillage, if war was declared on me?
                Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Pillaging within the borders of another nation would be a hostile military action taken within another nation's borders. So I would say that it's disallowed.

Is it even possible to get AI cities in peace treaties when you haven't taken any AI cities? In any case, I don't think accepting AI cities in peace negotiations should be allowed. The problem is that if we allow it, players might engage in longer, more drawn-out "defensive" wars than necessery in order to pursue the clearly offensive objective of persuading an AI to surrender a town in the peace negotiations. The best way to prevent such use of nominally defensive warfare for a purpose that is in reality offensive would be to disallow accepting cities in peace treaties.

Comment

Yes, it is possible to get cities in a peace treaty, without capturing cities yourself. But those are mostly small ones, that have not had a cultural border expansion yet, and it might require killing lots of units.
                    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

is culture flipping allowed?

Greetz
                      http://www.danasoft.com/sig/scare2140.jpg

Comment

In the version of the mod posted, Russians and Ottomans cannot upgrade their horse units to their UU.

Is there a reason we are not using the latest version of the AU mod?

Comment

Shoot, alexman... I was afraid the mod might have gotten messed up, due to pvzh and I collaborating on it.

Can you fix it and email it to me?

Comment

E-mailed and posted the save games for Regent to Sid.
                            I used the AU mod 1.07 rules.
                            Thanks for setting it up!

[Edit: deleted attachment, since it is now in the second post, above]

Comment

Edit: Nevermind. Alexman has fixed it
                              Theseus you need to delete your download I guess

PS To bad that rule import killed my carefully planted easter egg

Comment

Working...
                              X