Which World Do You Play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which World Do You Play?

I've been experimenting lately with different sized "custom" worlds: narrow and tall, narrow and wide, square, etc., to see what difference they make.

What's your preference? Or do you stay with the standard 40X50 world?
    Jack

I kind of like 100x100 map, varied landmass, wet, warm or temperate, and 3billion yrs old. Also a round world I never play on flat world.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MyOlde on 04-07-2001 08:46 AM
      What's your preference?

This week: Rome scenario (checking whether it is possible to win in less than a century WITHOUT rehoming caravans ).
      Otherwise: small or medium (large worlds are fun to explore, but micromanaging 50 or 80 cities is a bore).
      Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Large as defined by the 2.42 program. Love all those cities.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Against the ai I play Deity 7 civs villages - i find it the most challenging because it gives the ai time to develop and you don't get as much cheap gold from barbarian leaders.

In multiplayer I play deity normal world 2x1x speeds the game up a little.

Comment

Been playing around with 20x230 flat maps.A long strip.500 squares long.Land locks,endless seas.Nice caravan bonus' although it takes awhile to deliver.You get some serious ship chains.30-40 boats long.
            The ai seems to do better on them for some reason.I think they get small map rates on them.
            Don't build Marco's and it can be "challenging"
            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I like medium or large maps with continents, middle settings and age of 3M. Though I think I'll try a long map, just to see what it is like though I think I will use a tall one, less polar regions)
              I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

There are no poles on a 20x230.Nothing.If you leave a trireme next to it it will sink(eventually).It gets a little wonky on the top of the map.Units kinda dissappear but pressing C fixes it.
                The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I am going to try a micro map right now. as small as I can get it. but I usually play the large map size (whatever the default is).

Comment

I admit to having fallen in love with Julius' Giga-maps - I just wish that the 250 limit could be removed so that we can try Giga oblongs

------------------
                    Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
                    "The Great Library must be built!"
                    "A short cut has to be challenging,
                    were it not so it would be 'the way'."
                    - Paul Craven
                    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Medium to large maps. The giga-maps are good for detail, but are only playable if every unit's move rate is doubled, and the road multiplier increased. Otherwise you end up studying stealth before you've been able to run a horse from Paris to Berlin. Speaking of movement, does anybody else increase ship movement, even on normal sized maps? It seems ridiculous to have triremes and caravels no faster than a caravan moseying along a road.

------------------
                      "There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
                      -Philip of Macedon
                      The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                      intelligence to few.

Comment

I often increase movement- although not lately.

I judge from the large earth world map. It should not take years for a battleship to travel accross the pacific ocean- this would have made ww2 very difficult. And the atlantic is bigger than the pacific- it takes even longer to get to europe. So I usually increase movement.

Comment

Working...
                        X