No announcement yet.

Acceptable exploits or 'cheats'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh, for military, for most of the game, rush buying is unnecessary, just make hundreds of warriors at the beginning, and let leo's teach them to use muskets and rifles. Not much micromanagement at all there

Comment

sorry to pick holes in your strategy barefoot, but you can't upgrade warriors to anything, thats why they are a last resort

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
        sorry to pick holes in your strategy barefoot, but you can't upgrade warriors to anything, thats why they are a last resort
        I am too lazy to confirm this, but I am almost sure that warriors are indeed upgraded to better units if you have the wonder. (At least in 2.42, they are)

Comment

Warriors
          Phalan
          Pikemen
          Musketeers
          Riflemen
          Yes, it does upgrade with Leo
          Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Re: Acceptable exploits or 'cheats'

Originally posted by Marko Polo
            1.4.5. FOOD CARAVAN TRICK

It has recently been discovered that a city can use food caravans to set up food trade routes with itself. Using this trick it is also possible to get your city to grow in population even if you have a food shortage. It is not known exactly in what circumstances this will work and it may be version specific. This use of food caravans is NOT allowed in OCC games. You are of course still allowed to use caravans to help build wonders or to disband them to contribute to whatever you are building.
            What do you mean that food caravan trick is NEW? I have used it as long as I can remember!
            Last edited by Ming; August 26, 2001, 06:40.

Comment

And somebody explain me how to use the quote thing...mine looks weird

Comment

Originally posted by Jusbaummer
                And somebody explain me how to use the quote thing...mine looks weird
                For some reason... there was some extra HTML code in the quote that set up a table. Once I went in and edited it, it solved the problem

And yes, the Food Caravan trick has been known and documented for a very long time.
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida
                  Warriors
                  Phalan
                  Pikemen
                  Musketeers
                  Riflemen
                  Yes, it does upgrade with Leo
                  Yes, but not to phalanx. Upgrade path is warrior->pikemen, or warrior->musketeer if you avoid discovery of Feudalism .

Comment

DaveV, you da man, but my recollection is that without feudalism the warriors don't upgrade to musketeer. They'll go directly from warrior to musketeer if you have feudalism AND gunpowder. N'est-ce pas?

Comment

Originally posted by debeest
                      DaveV, you da man, but my recollection is that without feudalism the warriors don't upgrade to musketeer. They'll go directly from warrior to musketeer if you have feudalism AND gunpowder. N'est-ce pas?
                      Ce n'est pas. The "official" upgrade for warriors is pikemen; once you discover feudalism, Leo will upgrade warriors to pikemen, and warrior production will upgrade to pikemen. In addition, discovery of gunpowder obsoletes all pre-gunpowder unmounted units. Leo's will upgrade pikes, phalanxes, legions, and archers to musketeers. If you manage to discover gunpowder without discovering feudalism, warriors will upgrade directly to musketeers. And production will not be upgraded: any cities that were building warriors can continue to do so, although you can't change production of any city to warriors. If you discover feudalism after gunpowder, both units and production will be upgraded to pikemen and then musketeers on successive turns.

I'm sure it works this way, because this used to be my entire strategy before I came to this site: relentless ICS, and flood the map with 10-shield musketeers.

Comment

I know you and I have discussed this particular question already, and I think we arrived at agreement; I suppose I'm just mis-remembering now. Although, good grief, this was MY whole strategy too.

And what's your strategy now, if not that? You're not moving on from ICS, are you?

Comment

since there a lot of talk about cheating here's an other one
                          =>build an enormous amount of cities(>120 or something are needed in the entire world)at one point there will be so many cities that the next city his units will all be NONE-units,now if you build a dozen of those cities spread throughout your empire and then make all you other units home in one of those all your units are none-units and there is no more need for shieldsupport under any government(Demo&Rep !!!! )
                          Could you also consider this as a cheat?(since all cities the AI builds after that point also only produce NONE-units?)

(PS1:just lately found the patch to upgrade to Civ 2.42 and I'm not certain it works there to(only 116 cities on the map for the moment and i think you need at least 127)If anyone knows?
                          PS2:now that I am thinking about it do NONE units have different stats then normal units(eg do they have a bigger chance to lose a fight?),just curious.)

Shade
                          ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
                          "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                          shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Yes, rehoming units to a NON support city would be cheating. I come across this once, but didn't know at the time it was because of the number of cities. So I can't help you determine how many the limit is.

NON-units are the same as any other of your units in combat situations.
                            The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                            intelligence to few.

Comment

It's after 127 cities indeed that you get non units. But it is fixed by the patch, the 2.42 that is and doesn't work in later versions. In case you ask, the maximum number of cities is 255
                              I think the none units behave "normally", but I am not sure
                              Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

It's after 127 cities indeed that you get non units.
                                =>expected something like that(7bit)
                                But it is fixed by the patch, the 2.42 that is and doesn't work in later versions.
                                ==>Damn
                                In case you ask, the maximum number of cities is 255
                                =>I knew(1 byte=256 or array=0..255)
                                I think the none units behave "normally", but I am not sure
                                => I know they should but I really am not sure,but that could just be an impression.

Shade
                                ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
                                "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                                shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Working...
                                X