Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new player....

Hey there...

Wow!! I have browsed through a few of the messages on this strategy board, and I can tell you guys/gals are students of this game. There are excellent recommendations found throughout this messageboard. My problem is, I have just installed CivII (after having not played it for.. oh 2 years) and I do not recognize most of the acronyms you guys use. Also, many of these discussions are between people that are so well versed in CivII and it's various parts, that it is over my head... Is there some place that can get a guy like me up to speed? I don't really want to know the different calculations that tell the relationship between sci-beakers and worker ratio's, although I am sure I will after a few games, right now I just want to build a solid foundation... Any help is appreciated.

Steve.

A pig, in a cage, on antibiotics.

Browse the "Great Library" thread at the top of this page. It contains anything and everything anyone could possibly need to know.

------------------
    Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
    Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
    Troll & Hydey Wrangler
    Mono Rules!
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Welcome!

3 most common game versions:

2.42 - original CivII with latest update (thus, version 2.42)
      MGE - Multiplayer Gold Edition
      ToT - Test of Time

some common abbreviations I understand:

AI - computer opponents (Artificial Intelligence players)
      AC - Alpha Centauri
      OCC - One City Challenge (races to AC using just one city, see links to download Paul's strategy guide and comparison games listed in this forum)
      ICS - Infinite City Strategy (foremost proponent is DaveV)

some others you are likely to wonder about are actually user names.

Just play the game, and when you get to wondering about why something happens the way it does, the answer will be here somewhere, if you can find it!

Some more acronyms come to mind:

SSC - Super Science City (trade rich city with Colossus, science wonders, and science improvements, superhighways and maximum citizens. Some produce over 1800 beakers in science!)
      SOL - Statue of Liberty wonder, many others are abbreviated this way.
      IMO - In my opinion
      IMHO - In my honest opinion
      IIRT - I am reasonably certain (I just figured out this one myself! May be wrong)
      [This message has been edited by solo (edited March 21, 2001).]

Comment

You are most welcome - basically "Ask and it shall be answered" these forums seem to contain just about all known civ knowledge - finbar's suggestion of browsing the GL (Great Library) is very good and will definitely help .... See you on the boards

------------------
        Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
        "The Great Library must be built!"
        "A short cut has to be challenging,
        were it not so it would be 'the way'."
        - Paul Craven
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Hi!

Make sure to become a regular visitor of the OT!

Comment

Working...
          X