X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Originally posted by rixxe on 01-30-2001 03:52 AM
    I think the hardest challenge would be :

1. Playing on the world map with the English, Deity, RHordes,....
    2. Against the French, the Spanish, the Roman, the Mongols, the Americans, and the Babylonians
    3. Starting with one settler
    4. Just Road, Mining, and Irrigation as free sciences.

Good Luck

Rixxe, in deity I always have two settlers, so I should disband my second immediately? Should I win by world conquest or AC landing? Have you tried this yourself?

Comment

Here's a suggestion, not really a new challenge though, but a fun way to play civ:

Let a friend start a game and play until 1 AD. Then you get a copy and both of you play it from there. Two separate games. Compare every 500 year or so and see how each one is doing. If you like you could set goals like:

1. 1st one to conquer the world
      2. 1st to AC

This is fun , but you could also learn something from it - looking at the other guy's moves or mistakes. And your own as well.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Lars-E on 01-30-2001 08:24 AM
        Here's a suggestion, not really a new challenge though, but a fun way to play civ:

Let a friend start a game and play until 1 AD. Then you get a copy and both of you play it from there.

Lars, this surely sounds like fun! I just need that friend with whom I could try this

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Lars-E on 01-30-2001 08:24 AM

Let a friend start a game and play until 1 AD. Then you get a copy and both of you play it from there. Two separate games. Compare every 500 year or so and see how each one is doing. If you like you could set goals like:

1. 1st one to conquer the world
          2. 1st to AC

This is fun , but you could also learn something from it - looking at the other guy's moves or mistakes. And your own as well.

Yeah, I was doing that some years ago, before getting CivII - Multiplayer. But were starting in 4000BC, checking for the demographic chart every x # of turns. It was fun....

quote:

Originally posted by Marko_Polo on 01-30-2001 04:53 AM
          Rixxe, in deity I always have two settlers, so I should disband my second immediately? Should I win by world conquest or AC landing? Have you tried this yourself?

No I've never tried to start in this situation, exactly, but I'm not sure you always start with 2 settlers in deity, with the english (the civ with which i usually play)

I'll try it tonight, and i'll post a screen shot of the demographic chart....

Comment

For those who wants only an 'easy' challenge, mine could be called the 'Long live the king' challenge:
            On huge map, the best allowed government for the human player is monarchy.
            I tried only once. I did not won, but I was close.
            The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Have you tried the scenario named Rome that goes with the game ?
              I suppose it was designed by the authors of the game and I find it GREAT (because you start with one of seven civs around the Mediterranian, each civ with its own abilities and there are neither goodie huts nor new wonders apart from the "historical" ones).
              I would be very happy to know whether strong ICSers or OCCers have tried it and what they have achieved (personally I am fighting hard to manage winning in less than 100 years; have come close to it but not yet beaten it).

------------------
              aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental
              Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

I did it!
                89 turns.
                I start a new topic ("delenda est...") to discuss that.
                Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by La Fayette on 02-05-2001 08:41 AM
                  I did it!
                  89 turns.
                  I start a new topic ("delenda est...") to discuss that.

Congratulations La Fayette!! I'll try to find your new topic right now to learn more about your achievement!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Marko_Polo on 01-28-2001 06:31 AM
                    5) Free the world (Julius)
                    This sounds impossible! Julius, I assume you have tried this? To what extent have you managed to "free the world"?

Marko Polo, I don’t know if it is impossible but I haven’t won it all yet. If you capture the cities and then hand them to barbarians, it is quite easy. But if you want them to capture all of them by themselves, it is very tough. So tough, I haven’t been able to manage the feat yet.

------------------
                    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
                    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

An easier challenge might be the “Wait for Jesus” one. You don’t do nothing, don’t move your settlers at all until one AD. So you give the Ai a little headstart. I’ve read about it but don’t remember where. It should be playable, especially on a large or gigamap.

------------------

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 02-05-2001 09:58 AM
                        But if you want them to capture all of them by themselves, it is very tough. So tough, I haven’t been able to manage the feat yet.

Actually, I really strongly believe that this one is impossible! At least in deity level where AI seem to have a great defence advantage against barbs, at least in a city. I've seen crusaders to attack archers in multitudes and the archer only suffered very little damage!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 02-05-2001 10:01 AM
                          An easier challenge might be the “Wait for Jesus” one. You don’t do nothing, don’t move your settlers at all until one AD. So you give the Ai a little headstart. I’ve read about it but don’t remember where. It should be playable, especially on a large or gigamap.

GP came up with this one in the general forum some time ago. I think he kept hitting the space bar until 1000 AD (or was it 1500 AD?) in a small world and still managed to win it (bloodlust, I think).

Carolus

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Carolus Rex on 02-05-2001 11:51 AM
                            GP came up with this one in the general forum some time ago. I think he kept hitting the space bar until 1000 AD (or was it 1500 AD?) in a small world and still managed to win it (bloodlust, I think).

Carolus

Yeah, that's probably where I read it. I don't think he went much over 1ad, though.

------------------

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Marko_Polo on 02-05-2001 10:18 AM
                              Actually, I really strongly believe that this one is impossible! At least in deity level where AI seem to have a great defence advantage against barbs, at least in a city. I've seen crusaders to attack archers in multitudes and the archer only suffered very little damage!

The trick that makes me believe it possible is to destroy by myself all ai defenses without capturing the city. Not easy, but maybe not impossible ...

------------------

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 02-05-2001 04:08 PM
                                The trick that makes me believe it possible is to destroy by myself all ai defenses without capturing the city. Not easy, but maybe not impossible ...

Well, if you put it that way.. then I believe it's possible! You just make a fortress next to every AI city, put a couple of good defensive units in there and a good attacker ((with only one movement point so you won't capture the city yourself) and every time the flag appears there just kill the defender off right away.

The problem is that there are always regions, especially islands, where barbs never appear, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X