A tough challenge for the SP expert.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tough challenge for the SP expert.

I recently installed the mod that allows you to build much bigger maps(up to 32768 squares) I tried a 250x130 map on deity with 7 civs, and tried to conquer the world. It seems like it will not be possible to do this by 2020. It is 1700, and I have almost conquered one civ, and found a second, but much of the map is still dark. On MGE, all the civs are hostile, and won't trade maps. I think if I can give them about 5 techs, it may be possible.
    Has anybody worked on the strategies for a very large world?
    My plan is to send out caravels(+magellans) with two dips and a settler to found a beach head near the other civs when I find them. At home, I will build up the economy and use the gold to bribe the target civ cities.

Geofelt, winning on a Giga map is ex-treme-ly easy, even if you're set on conquering the world.
    Simply start tipping all the huts asap, the AI has no clue!

------------------
    If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
    A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
    Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Build good communications. Gather an army of 50+ engineers and railroad your way to the AI. You will have to build a few handy cities as "channel ports" where a transport is capable of bridging two continents in one turn. When the AI is in sight send in a few caravans before you start taking their cities, then you will have a war chest which will allow bribing or cash for more troops. Trade bonuses can be BIG on giga maps!

Yes - build Magellan's and Marco's for the map exchanges (true - this harder than 2.42 but they will play after an encarta of tech!)- and hunt huts!

Beware having a series of isolated "Cubas" near AI civs. If war breaks out this is their first target. On the first giga map I played I had an Advanced Tribe near India. First they stole a tech, then next turn bribed the place for another one!

-----------

SG(2)
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Geofelt, et al.:

Another useful challenge in SP is to use a standard-size map and simply wait 1000 to 3000 years to go by before establishing your first city. I've found that this approach can even make a game at the warlord level a bit stimulating, particularly if one or more AI civilizations has gotten a helluva good start elsewhere on the planet.

CYBERAmazon
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Is the the limit of cities still 255 in this mod?
          stuff

Comment

Indeed, is 255 cities still the limit?
            Rome rules

Comment

I fear so -- the no-limits mod fixes cash and population limits, but it appears that the city limit of 255 is too integral to the whole game for Julius to find a way round it ...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
              "The Great Library must be built!"
              "A short cut has to be challenging,
              were it not so it would be 'the way'."
              - Paul Craven
              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by geofelt on 02-06-2001 07:59 PM
                I recently installed the mod that allows you to build much bigger maps(up to 32768 squares).

there's a mod to be installed to create those maps? I never knew... well, gigamaps don't work in FW for me, only in MGE... does that mean I can get them to work in FW, too?

Comment

Working...
                X