No announcement yet.

Waging War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, Marco, I have never seen the reasoning to justify rush building walls in SP games. The AI rarely launches a counter attack worth a dribbling piss; in MP, however, a walled civilization makes counter-conquest harder, and puts the emphasis on subversion. I personally think walls should be costlier than they are in the game, especially in MP, but life it too short to make the rules all the way you like it...

About engineers:

I like a nice leading force of engineers, too, though I like to attack from the sea and take one prime city; I rarely go by land because its so slow! Building the infrastructure to get to an enemy is costly, but if you can do so in MP successfully and without your enemy knowing you are building right up to his back door, then an invasion is much easier to execute.

I also like how the AI always builds a web of railroads all over their civ. I can go halfway around the planet with 19th century technology, in one turn.

------------------
    "Every time I hear the name "Sergent Sheets" I picture a blanket
    with portraits of Patton, Einsenhower, MacArthur, and other WWII leaders."
    The Brain

"One is never too old to die young." Sgt. Sheets

"The only thing greater than the United State of America is you."
    FREE YYYH and Stewart Spink
    We shall never forget!!
    "One is never too old to die young." Sgt. Sheets
    FREE YYYH and Stewart Spink
    We shall never forget!!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sergeant Sheets on 01-31-2001 10:15 PM
      I have never seen the reasoning to justify rush building walls in SP games. The AI rarely launches a counter attack worth a dribbling piss;

Yup, you are actually right about this which is sad.. the lack of counter-attacks makes conquering AI too easy! I usually build city walls to my first few conquered city in a strong big empire but in fact that really isn't necessary.

Rushbuilding barracks on the other hand (maybe disbanding an obsotele unit first in city to make it much cheaper) is a good strategy IMO. Makes the conquering much quicker that way.

Comment

About counter attack
        shall I tell you what happened to me the first time I played at deity level?
        I was Russian and strong, but there was a ridge of solid mountains between the mongolian empire and my own territory. Lots of hard fighting, howitzers against fortresses on top of the mountain, hard bombing and the like... Then comes the plain, a fat mongolian city size 15 or so. I take it, stack 12 or 15 units inside, hoping to take next fat city next turn. Then comes a young man with a bowler hat (smiling, I would swear he was smiling) and buys the city back.
        OK, I was strong. I take back city #1 + city #2. A mix of 20 howitzers and armors stacked here and there. Then come 2 (smiling, I would swear they were smiling) young men with bowler hats...
        I won, later on, but I remember it as if it were yesterday.
        Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

You're an idiot seargent. I've never heard such bull**** in my life.

Comment

EP
            Topics on this forum should be DISCUSSED.
            Posting insults leads to NOWHERE.
            If you wish to discuss something sergeant has written, please do it.
            If you wish to insult him, please don't do it (or at least use his private message box).

------------------
            aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental
            Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Working...
            X