Tricks of the Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricks of the Trade

Suppose your only trading partner is also your most hated enemy.

The only civ with which you can trade is also the primary (ummm only) adversary.

This is what I thought about trading in a situation like that please tell me if I am correct:

You trade with ONLY ONE ENEMY CITY. If for example you have 12 cities you build trade routes with only one AI city thus you get multiple trade arrows for all your cities but the AI gets only 3 trade routes. In this way you don't benefit the enemy but you still get all the bonuses (although not the specific trade requested).

Yes this is standard fare against the ai.No reason to give them a bunch of routes.Seems quite logical vs humans also.I'll trade with my ally freely.We'll try to get 3 in every city.If no ally or duel situation then I self trade.

There is the caravan bomb tactic but I don't think its a very good plan.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Smash on 01-26-2001 07:41 PM

There is the caravan bomb tactic but I don't think its a very good plan.

Smash - do you mean giving the AI city food caravans to make the place grow?

--------

SG(2)

"Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

No I mean "bombing" your opponents cities with caravan so that all they can produce is food caravans.You get routes and bonus but they get routes also.

Of course then you can mess with them by shifting workers and lowering trade arrows in your cities.Sometimes this can be enough to throw a city into revolt if your opponent is napping.
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

OK. Thanx Smash.

edit: yes I made a mistake in just three words
          [This message has been edited by paiktis22 (edited January 26, 2001).]

Comment

I used to use this tactic but have come to think that it is unnecessary.

If you confine yourself to the one city you will hamper your ability to maximise the gold/beaker bonus. That bonus represents a significant proportion of the value of your investment. OK a range of profitable routes with a single opponent gives him equal trade arrows with me from the routes. But that is mere equality. I have had the bonus and that means the value overall favours me. And the bonus is paid up front.

If the enemy is too strong to trade with in a way that maximises the bonus, then take the situation to its logical conclusion and don't trade with him at all. Save for exceptional occasions put in local routes.

Comment

Wait a minute!
              I think I have read somewhere in these forums that the number of trade arrows is NOT affected by the commodity being traded.
              That only affects the amount of cash you get upon delivery.

Is this true?

Comment

Working...
              X