No announcement yet.

How to defeat this guy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't thought about the fortress yet, good idea!
    I have conquered even more of England the second time, only London is Viking but he will buy them back again, I have seen the spies on their way.

Basicly my strayegy is developing into what you just described. I take is cities, sell the best improment in it and take all workers away from their fields and make them all tax collectors for addional money. This way they always starve for at least one or two turns.

And the Pacific Ocean enterprse is in preparation, I just have to keep him busy in Europe so he doesn't notice what I am doing. And Africa should be a nice surprise for him, too. Nothing can stop that transport ship now...

The only real problem is that time is noy playing in my favour, the longer I prepare the more money he has to buy me. And he only needs one transport to get through to me...

------------------
    Mathias' Civ II Page
    http://members.nbci.com/thalys
    The Lost Geologist Blog
    http://lostgeologist.blogspot.com

Comment

Well, at least you are getting money from the conquer get conquered. If you get all of England then you have a good launching base. That will make things easier.

------------------
      Save the whales, collect the whole set!!

If Al Gore invented the Internet, then I invented the spell check- Dan Quayle

If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith

Comment

Keep pounding at him in the manner you are now. Make a beeline for fundy. Then build a huge horde of fanatics and fortify them near all of his cities to sheild-starve him.

------------------
        Go Redskins!

Email me at
        SilverDragon141@aol.com

Comment

Hi, I'm the guy, Hendrik wants to destroy...
          I'm very pleased to see, that he got sleepless nights by this impossible mission...
          Hendrik got some good advices to switch to democraty, but he didn't follow...
          He isn't able to take my fourty cities, since I have money and spys but also railroads between the cities and the powerful weapons, that robotic make possible...
          Each year I offered peace to Hendrik, each time with more bad circumstances for him, but he was silly enough, to say everytime no. Next time I'll offer peace, if he give me his city with the most wonders. It would a good choice for him, then to make peace and follow the advice to change to democraty and try to reach Alpha Centauri...
          Hendrik didn't tell you the whole setting of our online game. We are three humans. Hendrik and me have each about 20,000,000 inhabitants, but the third one, Ingo, also located in Europe, Asia and Africa, has 50,000,000 inhabitants. He is running his nation as a democraty in a very civilized manner and therefore he hasn't the military power like Hendrik and me. Official is Ingo allied with Hendrik and with me. But I presume the both have a secret agreement, that Ingo doesn't attack Hendrik, when he is in war with me. But Hendrik should know, that he cannot trust such a agreement. If any of his troops will appear in Europe, Asia or Africa - he gots advices how to do so and he intend to do so - I would force Ingo to attack Hendrik - and I think, Ingo would fear my nearly, railroad-connected powerful weapons more, than the weak american power...

Sorry for my bad English!

Comment

wow Hendrik that just SUCKS...

Comment

What he wrote is basicly all correct. I was just waiting for him to find out about this anyway...
              Actually I only have 15 Million People, unfortunately.
              But there is no secret agreement between Ingo and me even though Willi thinks so. We promised each other nothing and made no deals whatsoever.

I don't want to destroy Willi, I am just don't trust him anymore after he bought 2 of my cities I had conquered from the AI without me provocating him.

I prosume since this is our first online game we, at least I, need to switch from my usual strategy against the AI to a more peaceful approach.

Oh well, let's just forget about the whole thing...

------------------
              Mathias' Civ II Page
              The Lost Geologist Blog

Comment

Hendrik, you have no chance with a strategy that we suggested now.

------------------

If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith

Comment

Don't worry about capturing cities. Focus on destroying them. Although he has 40 cities, surely most of his trade and science is coming from 10 or 15 of them. Use those vet spies to poison a city down to size 1, dip the walls if he has them, then attack and destroy the city.

I can tell you how to wrest financial and technological superiority away from him, but I won't do so where he can see. Check your private message box.
                  [This message has been edited by Matthew (edited December 24, 2000).]
                  The camel is not a part of civ.
                  THE CAMEL IS CIV !!!!
                  SAVE THE CAMEL !!!!!!

Comment

Pillage.
                    Spys.

next time play no city bribes
                    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Hello Civ2 fan,

I don't play MP so if this info isn't applicable,disregard. So, he has railroads-great. Take armada, with landing\invasion force include freight or spies to bypass zoc and turbocharged engineer for instant fort. Send spy to find city info.
                      #1 goal- establish ONE beachhead city the one easiest to defend against spys and on rail line. Dedicate force to guard city include 1 spy for anti-bribe and rush build courthouse first turn,city walls 2nd. Have engineers build forts on rail to aid spy defense and pillage other access to city.
                      #2 goal- Take away cities (as above) focus on taking away and defending ONE at a time. If you can't defend it against a spy dont take it. If he stockpiles inside a city DON'T TAKE, stop him from escaping and take another city.
                      If you cannot utilize this or another winning strategy and you don't trust enemy, offer anything to that really big civ for alliance against enemy, you have nothing to lose. Do not give enemy your territory! you can offer Democrat every other city you take or take city and give to democrat!
                      Merry Christmas,

Maelhavok
                      <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Maelhavok (edited December 25, 2000).]</font>
                      [This message has been edited by Maelhavok (edited December 25, 2000).]

Comment

Thank you all very much for your briliant suggestions!

However, no further aid is required. We have settled the issue now and even though the strategies mentioned might no longer work it gave me a great insight into the overall picture.

------------------
                        Mathias' Civ II Page
                        The Lost Geologist Blog

Comment

Hendrick,

You should have not spent any effort on military invasion beyond very token feignts and instead should have used dip spies to blow up his temples and marketplaces.

The key to civ is trade-offs. You can't do everything. So if you have a good strategy push it hard and don't dilute your effort by doing other things.

Comment

So, what was the turn out?

------------------

Comment

Well, the two of us were in a stalemate. Niether of us was able to do anything more than harrass the other one. It turned into a ever repeating cylce of me conquering some of his cities and he buying them back, me taking them or others again and he buying them back and so on...

The third human played won because he could concentrate on the more important issues.

But I tested the strategy of burned earth against a very strong AI Democrazy in a SP game. It was about 3 times as large is I in territory and cites and about the same in Tech. It works really good! One needs to have a long breath but by now I have destroyed 3 cities, conquered 1 and destroyed about 50 - 60% of its terrain improvements.
                              Just a matter of time until the AI succumbs to my steady stream of fanatics, spies and tanks. Losses are huge but as long as I have a few units ravaging and keeping the opponent busy it works, especially after the roads and railroads have been largly destroyed where ever I cannot use them in my advantage.

So all your advice was not in vain at all!

------------------
                              Mathias' Civ II Page
                              The Lost Geologist Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X