Low tech growth strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low tech growth strategy

It's nice to start out with a few good trade resources in easy reach, but sometimes it doesn't happen. In double production this usually guarantees that you will fall behind in the tech race, at least long enough to miss out on the popular happy wonders. No happy wonders can make celebrating difficult, or at least put it off for quite some time. So is a civ without early trade specials consigned to the basement of the game? I think not.

Monarchy and it's pre requisites are of course vital. you might as well pick bronze for your first non-monarchy tech so you can defend yourself.

the next few techs that you need are masonry, currency, map making, and trade. Map making first means your settlers can spend less time getting to a city site and the cities will be established faster and therefore start producing faster. Masonry first makes it more likely that you'll get the pyramids.

You want the pyramids to help you grow quickly without having to celebrate. One can usually get them because most players put a higher priority on happy wonders (myself included).

The next two techs you want are trade and construction. Be sure to get mysticism in there as well. The sooner you get pyramids, the sooner you'll want mysticism probably.

So the techs you've researched so far are:

Alphabet, Ceremonial Burial, Code of Laws, Monarchy,

Bronze Working, Currency, Masonry, construction, mysticism,

these are the essential ones, and

Trade, map making.

That's between 9 and 11 techs.

Granted, Mono can come in as little as 10, assuming you want to get out of despotism en route, and go for republic instead of Monarchy, and comes with a boost from philosophy, but going this route instead you don't have to be the first to get anything to get what you want to build, with the possible exception of masonry. With the first 9 techs alone that I mentioned, let's see what you can do.

1. quickly grow your cities without having to worry about being able to celebrate.

2. keep a size 7 or 8 city perfectly happy without any luxuries.

3. Get your cities to size 12, and always keep them perfectly happy with 2 entertainers (having built a market place).

4. present a pretty respectable defense. (you can build city walls, or even the GW)

5, if you like, prepare for a SSC. You can build collossus, and are just 2 techs from astronomy.

6. If necessary build court houses to make up for the extra waste and corruption in Monarchy. They will eventually come in very handy if you get into democracy anyway.

With the addition of map making and trade, you can get those cities down faster, pick up more huts, build wonders faster(with your caravans) and get trade routes going with distant forign cities. And if an opponent has already managed spectacular WLTD growth, with your caravans on his shores you may benefit more from his big cities than he does with a bit of luck.

All and all, not bad for a mere 9 to 11 techs.

Options at this point?

1. As mentioned, you are already close to Astronomy. SSC.

2. Even if your tech rate has been fairly slow, you are still probably closer to invention than anyone else. Use your imagination.

3. You are also probably closer to Navigation than anyone else. Naval dominance is good for war, and great for trade. Not to mention the easy access it gives your dips to make up for some of the techs you've fallen behind on.

The camel is not a part of civ.
    THE CAMEL IS CIV !!!!
    SAVE THE CAMEL !!!!!!

...from there I would like to continue the idea by going for Statue of Liberty.If you get SoL,you are all set.Pyramids and Commie can be very strong.You would probably have a very good chance at Leo's as well.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

If I were playing the AI I'd have any wonder I darn well pleased and wouldn't have to use this strategy.

But KRC is definitely a possibility here none the less. I'd never build it in double production, but in single production it would probably be great here.

As far as being hidden from other players, this may actually be somewhat sounder early on than just going all out for MC. Often someone going for MC will need to skip bronze or warrlor code, not to mention masonry, until he has achieved his goal. Or he may well get beat to Mono and JSB. Granted, he will get horse and poly on the way, but poly not till later, since he's probably beelining it to philosophy to get that first.

The problem with GL is that you probably need to get it fairly early, and if your tech rate is low, going for it will likely only slow you down from getting the techs you need for your purpose, both because you need the two additional techs (writing, literacy) and because any techs you get from it not along the path you want will only slow you down further. If that's not a problem because you have a good tech rate going, screw this strategy. you could probably get at least one of the happy wonders.
      The camel is not a part of civ.
      THE CAMEL IS CIV !!!!
      SAVE THE CAMEL !!!!!!

Comment

Mathew,

Would that all would go so smoothly. Are you hidden from your opponents? I usually find things a bit more jagged, but the strategy is sound. The GL probably doesn't fit your strategy. Likewise, a slow go means that KRC is probably going to the AI. That sound right?
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
        X