A strategy in the works...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scouse Gits,

An implication of your post is that we won't end up getting all the techs anyway. The actual process of the GL is that we, to some degree, let the AI pick the order of our techs. Every time we take an AI city we end up choosing a tech. (At least I've never found a way to say "no thanks." The only choices are "okay" and "help;" no "cancel," no "none.") Since we'll get 'em all anyway, why not let the AIs reserch some of them for us. This process is especially useful if you also have Da Vinci's, since you get to upgrade converted barbs and captured units more often than your own research tree would permit.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Blaupanzer - if you build the GL, you're less likely to be able to build Leo's Workshop in time, because you'll be bogged down with seafaring, astronomy, and polytheism instead of making a beeline for invention. Once you have the techs you need for a conquest, the captured techs are indeed a benefit. The difference is in the timing - not building GL lets you keep your tech tree lean and focused in the early game. Once you have the techs you want, it doesn't matter how bushy your tech tree becomes.

Comment

Yes that is the very bad thing about Great Library.Even in mp games.I once lost Leo's due my ally's reckless use of Marco Polo.
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Martin Schmidt on 12-18-2000 10:39 AM

I do it this way when i have a good capital but
          not much space to grow (small or medium islands ,
          with about six cities).
          Then to make the Capital a real research place is
          a good idea .
          I try to build kolossus , hanging gardens , kopernikus
          watch , newtons college , a library and a University
          in my Capital , than the three caravans if
          good foreign towns to goto are known . This worked
          well , but i think in mp games it will not be
          possible to get both hanging gardens and kolossus .

In my last game I used this strategy, but not in my capital: I selected the city that generated the most trade (five river squares, and a silk). While all my other cities averaged around 10 beakers, this city, after I completed Newton's, started cranking out 400 beakers a turn; and I didn't even had collossus. GL would have been a perfect waste of time there, I was so far ahead; I was only playing at king level though.

Science cities rule!

------------------
          All the world marvels at our superior intellect, sire!
          Mangez en donc un char

Comment

Perhaps the best use of GL in a multiplayer game is to turn your science down while collecting taxes to build up your civ. Let others do your research for you. As long as there are 5 or more civs in a game, and no one is way ahead, you shouldn't fall too far behind tech wise.

The disadvantage to this strategy is that while your science is low you will likely miss out on some popular wonders. But if you are a good, flexible player, you should be able to make due with the wonders left over.

By building caravans and infrastructure instead of researching early on, you should be able to make up for your sacrifice later on.
            The camel is not a part of civ.
            THE CAMEL IS CIV !!!!
            SAVE THE CAMEL !!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X