Stacked units that wont die!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stacked units that wont die!

Has anybody else attacked a stack of units and had to kill them one at a time? I have found that this only seems to happen with the more advanced units like artillery and tanks. Also the stacks this has happened in have only had 2 units stacked.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

To the best of my knowledge this isn't possible unless the units are in a fort. I haven't been around nearly as a lot of people here but I have never read of a similar problem before. The only help I can come up with off the top of my head is obvious stuff. However, it can't hurt to ask so...

1. are you sure there isn't a fortress in the square?

2. are you sure that the first unit lost the battle? If you are attacking with stacked units, maybe your first one really lost the battle, leaving a severely injured unit. Then the second attack was against the healthier unit left, making it look like the first had died when really it was just hidden behind the active defending unit?

(edit.. looking back at your post, it caught my attention that it only appears to happen in modern units... this makes me think that scenario two may be a good possibility. I know that there have been a few times when I thought I had won a battle while attacking a city that I later found that really the defending unit had one but only had a sliver of hit points left. ...end edit)

That's all I can think of, I hope this helps, if not someone else may know of a bug or scenario when this could happen.
    <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Albert B (edited December 21, 2000).]</font>
    [This message has been edited by Albert B (edited December 21, 2000).]

Comment

I am sure there isnt a fortress in the square, and the second scenario is not the case either because it has happened when I have only attacked with one unit. Example: I moved a cavalry up to a stack of artillery and attacked. I won, but the other artillery was still there so I attacked that one too and won. The stack was gone, but I had to attack twice to beat them instead of once.

Maybe its a bug...

Comment

Perhaps the two unis were standung on an airbase. On those units are also only killed one by one but without the defensive benefit of a fortress.

------------------
        Mathias' Civ II Page
        http://members.nbci.com/thalys
        The Lost Geologist Blog
        http://lostgeologist.blogspot.com

Comment

Could this problem possibly be due to a change in rules.txt? Is there anything in this file that controls this? I don't think there is, but I thought I'd ask the group.
          "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

If in such a modern age, Airbase seems like it could be a likely cause.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by suas333 on 12-21-2000 03:31 PM
              If in such a modern age, Airbase seems like it could be a likely cause.

Nope, there was no airbase.

Comment

We need details: terrain (attacker and defender), vet status (if known), location relative to cities, other units present. This is not "normal," but may have some explanation if we know enough. Sounds distinctly like a glitch. Only cities, fortresses, and airbases should permit one at a time destruction. I know this sounds silly, but were the units in an unwalled city, which also got killed when you killed the units?
                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

The units I was attacking were not in a city, fortress or airbase. They were on plains a couple of squares from one of my cities. They were 2 artillery units, I moved my cavalry unit along the railroad from my city and attacked twice. The first attack killed one of the artillery, the second killed the other.

Any others details you want to know?

Comment

Working...
                  X