divide and conquer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• divide and conquer

im new here, so ill just make myself at home and im sure I appear to be an idiot by posting this strategy that has no doubt been posted before. here goes.

modern age military strategy:

1 carrier
    -->about 8 stealth bombers
    -->a few stealth fighters to scout for incoming aggressors
    1 transport
    -->buncho spies
    1 transport
    -->few howsies
    -->some mech infan
    8 AEGIS Cruisers
    to prevent your task force from falling victim to a ka-zillion cruise missiles

find the capitol of some huge friggin nation, send in spies to destroy SAM, then bomb the hell out of it, still aint dead, send in your howsies...capture the city...mission accomplished...get the hell out of there. i also suggest you have at least 2 stealth fighters in all cities that are within in range of your enemies bombers because he will retaliate. but now he's got this new neighbor with almost equal strength to war with..so you wont feel the full weight of his sword.

dont ask what next...I'm still in the middle of the game

and FYI - ive been playing this game for years now...just not on the level most of you do...I dont analyze the crap out of it..I just step into character if you know what I mean =)

------------------
    [FOR RENT] Luxurious 4 bedroom 2 bath signature space, excellent neighborhood, $1500/mnth OBO
    [FOR RENT] Luxurious 4 bedroom 2 bath signature space, excellent neighborhood, $1500/mnth OBO

Here's a variation (it doesn't involve civil war) on divide and conquor that I like in SP. Let's say, late in the game, you find yourself sharing a border with a big mutha civ that has lots of military and expansionist ideals; you just want to get to AC, but the incessant border war is a distraction. One solution is to commision 3 spies in a border city and send them out all at once. Since the ai always builds railroad, you should be able to move anywhere you like in its territory. Have your three spies hop on the railroad and head out to the furthestmost point in three different directions away from the boarder; there you should find some small, lightly defended -- i.e., cheap -- cities. Incite revolt in one city in each direction. The ai now seems to think it's fighting a 4-front war, and harassment on your border will diminish to nothing as it rushes to reclaim cities you couldn't care less about.

------------------
    Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
    -- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Rufus what if they steal some of our hard earned tech, like spaceship components. last thing i want is the stupid ai sharing my techs with the rest of his band of merry alliances as we all know they do

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mercantile on 11-14-2000 10:53 AM
        Rufus what if they steal some of our hard earned tech, like spaceship components. last thing i want is the stupid ai sharing my techs with the rest of his band of merry alliances as we all know they do

Of course, you TURN THAT OFF!. D'uh!
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

turn it off? whats the point in playing then

Comment

quote:

Actually, if I'm already building the spaceship, I tend not to care about this, for several reasons:
            1) By spaceship time I tend to be richer and bigger than everyone else, so odds are I'll build it first
            2) The AI tends to build the slowest launchable spaceship it can (15/6/3), whereas I tend to build the fastest spaceship I can (33/16/3); the AI does sometimes manage to launch before I do, but I tend to get to AC first anyway.
            3) Having them steal tech can be a plus, since they'll then start building their pathetic ships and stop building military.

------------------
            Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
            -- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Rufus , i see your point. If the game is close especially with those ai cheats, sometimes they can launch a pretty fast ship. Nothing worse than having 8 turns to find the capital and hope to hell you can knock it out to stop a ship

Comment

quote:

This is the one thing that really burns me up every single game. The AI steals space flight and then the whole world catches up in techs. I hate that! But...hating things like this is why I love this game.

"Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

Working...
                X