Civ 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 101

Basic question. I could research it myself but, hey, I've got you all at my disposal, n'est-ce pas?

Here's the setup. You build an aqueduct. Your city grows to size 12. You build a sewer system. You can now grow larger than 12. Do you still need the aqueduct or can you sell it?

------------------
    Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
    Frodo lives!

You need both the sewer system and aqueduct to grow past size 12. After you've grown to the maximum size you want to (say in an OCC game), you can sell both improvements without worry.

Comment

This also applies to Factory (Exception: Sell old power plants!) and Marketplace hierarchies.

------------------
      St. Leo
      http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
      http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Thanks, Tom. I thought you could.

St. Leo, I also wondered about selling off other improvements. I have sold off old power plants but a factory? And in the Marketplace hierarchy, Marketplace/Bank/Stock Exchange, are you saying you can unload one of these? I would think that would have a direct impact on income.

------------------
        Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
        Frodo lives!

Comment

I had a Marketplace destroyed by a diplomat once, and the Bank and Stock Exchange still worked. I suppose the same holds for the science imrovements.

- Rib -

------------------
          If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
          A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
          Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Should have. From memory, they're dependent. The loss of income would be hard to detect, though.

------------------
            finbar
            Mono Rules!
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure that the money improvements build on each other. To check I'll open an old OCC game and sell some stuff. In OCC it should be easy to see a change in income or production resulting from the sale of improvements.

------------------
              "And now for something completely different..."
              - John Cleese
              "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Well, I will tell you what I have read:

1) After your city reaches size 12 I believe you can sell the aquaduct. I remember reading it on a "cheat" thread. This "feature" might have been corrected in the new versions though.

2) All money improvements are cumulative. If you sell one you lose it's 50% bonus.

3) All science improvements are cumulative as well. If you sell one you will lose it's 50% bonus.

------------------
                Kitana
                Shogun of the Japanese
                Kitana
                Shogun of the Japanese

Comment

Rib,
                  But did your income go down in that city? The bank and stock exchange might still work but did they merely produce less (50% less?) gold?

------------------
                  Frodo lives!

Frodo lives!

Comment

Sorry Kitana, I think your point (1) is incorrect. You need the aqueduct and the sewer to grow abouve size 12.

If you attack and capture a size 13 city with ground units, you may well find that one or both improvements have been destroyed. When that city has filled its food storage box, the game will tell you that "City XXXX needs and aqueduct/sewer for further growth".

Comment

You maybe right Fergus... It might have been a bug that was fixed. I just thought I read it in a "cheat" list in the Civ-3 forum. But I may easly be mistaken. I've been so busy building my scenario, and Web Site, that I haven't actually had the time to test the theory.

------------------
                      Kitana
                      Shogun of the Japanese
                      Kitana
                      Shogun of the Japanese

Comment

Working...
                      X