Long Wait/Chieftain Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Wait/Chieftain Challenge

Recently I tried to play a game on Chieftain and press "next turn" until 1 AD. Is this an existing challenge? Are there any threads about it here?
    I never finished the game (played on a Roman World map, 7 civs), but it didn't go well. I started in NW-Africa and didn't have a large area to expand. Strangely enough no AIs had started building any wonders yet, so I was able to get a lot of the important ones. I caught up in tech very soon but the other civs were much larger than mine. Maybe I could have tried to conquer them using my small tech lead, Wonders, Chieftain advantages and human vs AI strategy but as I said I didn't finish the game.
    Now a few more questions:
    What do you think would be good strategies for this kind of game?

Is it an interesting challenge? I tend to think it depends on luck a lot but it can lead to interesting game situations (your small empire conquering much larger empires).

What is the longest time anyone has waited before starting on Deity (or on any of the other levels) and still won?

Dr.Oogkloot

Edit: IIRC the AI civs started building each wonder as soon as I discovered the tech to build it but not before (even when it had no way of knowing I had the tech). Strange...could this be a "feature" on Chieftain?
    [This message has been edited by Dr.Oogkloot (edited August 15, 2000).]

It is an existing challenge, and an interesting one too IMHO.

I'll dig in the archives, there should be some thread in the general forum about it.

BRB!

Carolus

Comment

Found it.

http://apolyton.net/forums/Archives/...-1-000539.html

From the last post in it I figure there should be another one.

Carolus

Comment

It seems that GP waited until 500 AD and conquered the world in 2003 (deity level).

Carolus

Comment

So what do you prescribe, doc?

Going to try it out?

Carolus

Comment

OK thanks for pointing me to the thread.

quote:

Originally posted by Carolus Rex on 08-15-2000 09:57 PM
            So what do you prescribe, doc?

DAMMIT JIM I'M A DOCTOR NOT A DOCTOR!
            I mean...erm...oops...erm...think of me as a crazy, mad scientist type doctor like Dr.Doom or Dr.Evil or Dr.Brain or Dr.Frankenstein instead of as a medical doctor. I don't prescribe things.

quote:

Going to try it out?

I would if I could but I can't so I won't...I'm not in a position to play Civ2 now and won't be for another week . I'll probably try it out after that though.

Dr.Oogkloot

Comment

this is a feature of chieftan, warlord, and prince I believe. The ai won't build the wonder until the human player has the req'd tech. I know this from my wimpy warlord/prince days.

Comment

Really!!!!!

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Once again demonstrating my skill as a Deity level player, I have had AI civilizations build Copernicus and King Richard prior to my having either Astronomy or Engineering.

Perhaps there is a prohibition at lower levels but I do not believe there is one at the Diety level. I have the Macintosh version so that may be a difference.
                  If you can not think of a good reason to build something other than a caravan, build a caravan!

Comment

I think an interesting variant on this theme for we OCC players would be to play wandering Nomad until 1AD (or maybe 1000BC). Go around tiping huts, looking for a prime city location, even starting to improve the land at your chosen site, but not found the city until 1AD.

Comment

Now that sounds interesting. I may have to try that one the next time I can't find somebody to play MP.

Thanks for the idea
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                      X