You'll probably laugh at me but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You'll probably laugh at me but...

You'll probably laugh at me but what the heck is OCC fortnight #XX???

It's a fortnightly competition where someone provides a scenario that all interested players can play as a One City Challenge game and compare their results.

Comment

Where I find the scenario?

BuilderR.

Comment

The link is usually provided in the thread

Give them a try... the One City Challanges are great if you are bored with SP Civ
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, I already started one...

Comment

http://members.home.nl/paulvdb/occ.htm#fortnight

I recommend checking the entire site.
            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Fortnight meaning every other week.

------------------
              SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
              -Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
              "It's just a flesh wound!"
              - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ming on 07-22-2000 03:28 PM
                Give them a try... the One City Challanges are great if you are bored with SP Civ

It made me a born-again civer and for the intermediate to even advanced civer, it is a great and demanding learning environment requiring discipline, concentration and constant micromanagement as well as a thorough knowledge of the game to do well. Of course with only one city the duration of the game would be relatively short compared with the normal SP mode - for me a real plus.

Comment

Yeah, before that, i never had the patience to play few normal games in a row.

Comment

I really *have* to try those OCC games. I love to micromanage, and it seems like the logical conclusion to that habit.

Is it important to start at the first ones, or does that not matter?

------------------
                    Proud participant in GameLeague...

Proud Warrior of the O.W.L. Alliance...
                    Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

cavebear -

i don't think it really matters, but a lot of the newer OCC Fortnight games have certain handicaps (like in one of them you are stuck in Fundamentalism the entire game), so you might want to start with tsome of the earlier ones.

------------------
                      SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
                      -Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
                      "It's just a flesh wound!"
                      - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site

Comment

I was going to start a new thread asking the OCCers who have gone through all the comparison games to give their opinion about which ones they would recommend first-timers to try first, say the first three. This request for feedback is made here, OCCers.

I would agree that the latest comparison games from say OCC10 onwards are extra-challenging with some additional handicaps. From my cursory look at the others, I would say that only one appeared tougher with a less than optimum starting site (desert-like if I remember correctly, resulting in a longer game). I had my first success with OCC5 and I found OCC9 quite beginner-friendly too.

Comment

As a quick guide I would recommend printing off Paul's Comparison Table for a few of the games - for your first effort - choose a game that has a lot of people completing it - don't be concerned about the dates particularly, but they do provide a guide that you are 'on track' just don't expect to be within a century of the fastest completers - but it does matter if there are a fair number of non-completions - if the 'experts' get knocked off by the AI mere mortals have little chance of survival and the last thing you want in one of your first few games is to be marmalised by the AI

Despite this being the only one I haven't played yet I think I would recommend OCC#9 as the first go (SG2 played it successfully, [but not so well that he wanted to display his log] and that is the only OCC he has ever played.

The other key advice is Follow the Paulicy slavishly

Good civin' and good luck

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                          X