A rare Greek gift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A rare Greek gift?

I was wondering if anybody else has come across an unusual phenomenon which I've experienced only twice. As far as I can recall this was at least two years ago, I was playing SP as Babylonians at Emperor Level, 7 civs, raging hordes. I was at war with the Mongols on another continent around the time when I'd just researched gunpowder. A few turns later a message came up that the Mongols had revolted and I found myself the dazed owner of an ex-Mongol city in the middle of Mongolia with only a couple of phalanxes and a horde of hostile Mongol units nearby!

Spurious or just a random event of very low probability?

quote:

Originally posted by tonic on 07-11-2000 12:27 AM
    I was at war with the Mongols on another continent around the time when I'd just researched gunpowder. A few turns later a message came up that the Mongols had revolted and I found myself the dazed owner of an ex-Mongol city in the middle of Mongolia with only a couple of phalanxes and a horde of hostile Mongol units nearby!

Spurious or just a random event of very low probability?

don't think I've seen it in Civ II, although it was common enough in Civ I so the code is probably still there. I figure a lot more factors go into it, and it is probably much less likely now. Actually, that would be kind of funny if something like that happened in an OCC game

------------------
    As your elected chieftain, I pledge to expand our tribe's power and influence so that we may become rulers of the region, and I, your warlord.

*sounds of applause and cheers*
    *chants of SCG! SCG! SCG!*
    Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Would a pre-2.42 version be more susceptible to the aberration you think? I probably played the game before installing the 2.42 patch.

Comment

Tonic:

Well, I've heard of sprawling nations being torn asunder when their capitals are conquered. Usually they just split into two warring factions ... what you describe has never happened to me. It sounds like you were a third party — who hadn't taken the Mongol capital — who ended up with a Mongol city during a rebellion.

Obviously, somebody in Mongolia decided to join your empire. Party hardy!

CYBERAmazon
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I run 2.42 and haqve never seen that. Get the update, it fixes other things also.

Comment

It happened to me in Civ 1 a few times it said "The Aztec city of ??? greatly admires the success of the American Empire." or something like that and then the city was mine. Only happened in that one game but I got like 5 cities like that. Never happened to me in Civ 2 yet though.

------------------
            "I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
            "If the great Emperors of Rome, Egypt and Greece were alive today, do you think they would prefer Coke or Pepsi?"
            I AM CANADIAN!
            Gamecatcher: Multiplayer Civ 2 Democracy Game
            CornEmpire Owner/Operator
            Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software

Comment

geofelt, I should have mentioned I have since then been playing with version 2.42. Wouldn't have been able to join in the OCC fun here otherwise.

Comment

Working...
              X