Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you transfer a vet unit to another city does it remain vet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you transfer a vet unit to another city does it remain vet?

I need to know - major military reorg in progress.

Yes.Only way to lose vet status is with Leo's update.

Most times you designate a few cities as "barracks" cities.They build vet units for all cities.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I speculate that transferring units to other civs must be common in MP (not tried it yet). Does this hold good in that case too?

Comment

Yes... If you transfer a unit to another civ, it keeps it's veteran status.

However, when you give a unit to a human player in MP, a cheat can occur.
        Example...
        It's your turn... you want to give a diplo to an ally. You can move the unit, and then give it to your partner. The unit will then be able to move again when it becomes your partners turn, basically allowing the unit to move twice in the same year.
        Taking it one step farther... you can move the unit, and give it to your ally. If he gives it right back to you before you end your turn, YOU CAN MOVE IT AGAIN. By repeating this process, you can basically have unlimited movement for a unit.

Also, you can use this to create instant embassies between allies. Just give your ally a diplo that is standing outside of one of your cities. On his turn... instant embassy.

Now, consider doing this with a caravan. Just move a caravan one square outside of one of your cities that demands what it's carrying. Give it to an ally, and at his turn, instant trade route. It will attach itself to his nearest city, so a little advance thought is needed to maximize value.

So when you start a game, discuss this, and see what you are going to allow.
        In the group I play with, we don't allow the trading of caravans (diplos are OK) and no unit can be traded with the sole intent of giving it additional movement. Granted, it's the honor system, but I trust the people I usually play with!
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

oops
          [This message has been edited by Makeo (edited June 16, 2000).]
          Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

Makeo... thanks

But I disagree... Many people are unaware that this cheat exists. I want to make sure everybody that plays MP knows it... not so they can use it, but to discuss it prior to the start of the game so it doesn't get used against them. The first time I saw a diplo move 8 squares past my pickets, and bribe a city in the same turn, I was really pissed!
            Keep on Civin'

Comment

dammit ming i edited that post within about 10 seconds of posting it. how could you possible have seen it
              Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

I'm quick
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                X