"Tired" Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tired" Units

I am not certain when the computer gives you the "These men are tired sire; attack at 1/3 (or 2/3) strength message. I would venture to guess, however, that this happens with units that are normally on foot; warriors, legions, marines, etc.

Also, the color on the top of the shield denotes a unit's attack/defense quantities in light of casualties. Therefore a unit on "yellow" will only attack or defend at 2/3 strength.

Now, are these two factors cumulative? For example, if you have a legion with a yellow shield attack at 2/3 strength b/c the men are "tired," does that mean you attack at 2/3 * 2/3, or 4/9 total strength?

I appreicate your enlighening the uninformed.

quote:

Originally posted by Sortub on 05-13-2000 12:50 AM
    I am not certain when the computer gives you the "These men are tired sire; attack at 1/3 (or 2/3) strength message. I would venture to guess, however, that this happens with units that are normally on foot; warriors, legions, marines, etc.

It happens to all land units who have less than a full movement point remaining to move, i.e. a Riflemen unit that has moved on a road expending 1/3 movement has 2/3 left to attack.

quote:

Also, the color on the top of the shield denotes a unit's attack/defense quantities in light of casualties. Therefore a unit on "yellow" will only attack or defend at 2/3 strength.

The bar is hit points only. A unit in the red will attack and defend with the same a/d they had when at full strength.

quote:

Now, are these two factors cumulative? For example, if you have a legion with a yellow shield attack at 2/3 strength b/c the men are "tired," does that mean you attack at 2/3 * 2/3, or 4/9 total strength?

Yes, but as the strength bar is hit points only, there result isn't as you list. A 2/3 MP riflemen unit with 1/2 its hit points attacks at 3.33 strength. It will die if it receives 10 points of damage (20 hit points minus 50% damage).

quote:

I appreicate your enlighening the uninformed.

You are most welcome...

Venger

Comment

I feel obliged to clarify, since I disagree with what I think cavebear was saying.

It takes 1 movement point (MP) to attack. If your unit has less than 1 MP left, it is tired. This only happens if your unit has moved on a road, or is a unit that "treats all squares as roads". It doesn't matter how many movement points your unit had originally, just how many it has when it attacks. A unit capable of moving three squares (e.g. Armor) can make three non-tired attacks if it doesn't have to move in between attacks.

Comment

I may be saying the same thing Venger did, but I'm not sure.

"Tired" units show in direct relation to the remaining movement points. A unit that can move 2 squares will be 1/2 tired if they attack on the second move. A unit that moves 3 squares will be 1/3 tired on the second move and 2/3 tired on the third.

There are exceptions. Sea and air units don't seem affected (which makes sense). Are there any ground units that don't "tire"? Maybe motorized ones? I don't get to modern weapons often enough to be sure.
        Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
        Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
        Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
        Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

You are correct DaveV.
          As long as the unit has one movement left, it will attack at full strength. Now granted,if the unit is already injured, it may not hang in there long enough to destroy another unit... but the initial attack is at full strength.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
          X