New to me ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me ...

I started a new game last night and as someone here had recently extolled the very wide map (40 x 250) for its fantastic trade routes I thought I would try. However, ...
    I messed up and found myself playing on a very tall map (250 x 20) deity, raging hordes all other settings on random.
    I started all alone on a moderate sized island (40 very sleazy cities + SSC) in the southern polar ocean. Exploration reveals that the way North is blocked by a ring continent completely (as far as I can currently tell) occupied by extremely unpleasant and aggresive (not to mention downright rude) Vikings who seem to think that killing caravans is good for a laugh.
    Currently its 1400AD and the Vikings are being purchased off the face of the earth, but ...
    I have yet to reach the Equator and seem to be faced with another ocean to cross.
    This is all new territory for me - any ideas?

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

No ideas, but I'd like to add that I've played maps like this and they're wierd as bobbins. I highly recommend them to anyone getting tired of normal civ at diety, OCC and all the other SP variations (I almost am).

It is actually scary to be faced with such a new and novel map, for me anyway. And I should add that playing the long vertical map as SG did is much more fun than the horizontal (and make sure it's a round world... have a trerieme be able to go directly left and reach land which is the same continent is great fun, and makes me go a bit odd)

Graag

------------------
    You should never smoke in pyjamas, you could start a fire and burn your face
    I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
    Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

I've played a similar map. No choice but to conquer the Vikings. And have cities on the outside and inside edge of the ring. I've done that before. And set up a chain of transports. Connect the cities with roads and railroads. It's tedious but possible. Air units are a bit more difficult. It can be expensive to rush build a carrier.

Comment

yah maps like this are great..... and difficult for the fact that war is a must but at the same time your units can become obsolete by the time they get there..... leos helps......of course..... trade bonuses are out of this world and its a very tedious game as someone else pointed out before me
        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Scouse Gits

I am currently playing a horizontal 250x20 map and it is great fun. I should have no problems to win (only discovered half of the map but I am pretty sure )

The Strategy is: since land is all strangely dispersed I found out that everything is in trireme reach. The key, I think, is to send a few triremes with settlers VERY early and not to settle first continent left/right of me, but to send them as FAR as possible (say, a thousand years sale ) and then settle.

(sorry for caps I dont know how to underline)

Comment

I would love to VetLegion but ...

Latest News from Spindle World
            It's now the sixteenth century and the Vikings are no more [sombre music interupted by loud raspberry]. Not only were they the only inhabitants of this ring continent they had only built one city on its Northern shores! So...
            Unless Xin knows a sneaky way of loading Triremes onto Chariots I now have to build a brand new navy to venture further North and I still have not reached the Equator.
            I fear this game will prove a bridge too far and will be my first (recent) demise with both HG & GW.
            I guess as a wise man once said, "You cain't win them all!".

------------------

[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited February 18, 2000).]

Comment

I've only played a little bit on large/huge maps, but I think the key is sending out horsemen, not settlers, on your triremes (and doing it as early as you can). The research rate is relatively low on large maps, but with some very aggressive hut-hunting you should be able to pump up your science, units, and cities.

Comment

DaveV... horse hunting for the techs... and
                VetLegion .... settlers for the long distant cities..... and a bit of luck.... someone PLEASE tell us the outcome of this game......

still i happen to believe that every map is winable even though i have made errors and lost..... *hangs head in shame* do others feel like every map is winable? sorry got off topic there.......

Comment

War4 - I just looked I don't have an early save, but sometime next week I can set up a scenario to more or less reproduce it - would you like to try?
                  Spindle World has to go on the back burner for a few days now - OCC3 calls - I need to make another fool of myself. However, once I have definitely lost I shall send in some more News from the Spindle

------------------

Comment

SG1 - if you do set up some sort of challenge game, please do a favor for the conquest types and select "don't restart eliminated players". I gave up in disgust at about AD800 in a huge map game after killing the blue civ for the 4th time and having them reincarnate.

Comment

is there a relatively narrow piece anywhere?.If the terrain allows sometimes you can build 2-4 cities,utilizing lakes to make a "Panama Canal"
                      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Scouse Gits..... i would love to try the spindle map ...... i recently played another civers MY state map and it was a fun go

Comment

Smash, I shall have to check, but I think there is one place I can do it with three cities - Remember good ol' Civ1 when you could chain cities adjacent to each other...

------------------

Comment

Working...
                          X