No announcement yet.

Governments: What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing I notice is people don't oftten take into account the corruption factors of each government. Take republic vs. communism for example. If you are stuck on a small island and have to make a colonial empire the corruption in republic is unacceptable, so you have to build a bunch of courthouses, which don't take care of all the corruption and they cost 1 to upkeeep (with out Trade co.) Now the lost trade/sci/lux, when calculating with a library, market place back etc, can't be really hefty in a republic, and some times it seems as if you get more trade in communism. But demo is the ultimate trade government. No corruption and unbeatable trade. But I hate going for space so communism and fundy are my govs of choice.
    "There is no can't, only won't."
    -Line from American Kick Boxer 2 (American Shaolin)

Comment

I am convinced that the AI is programmed to approximately match your science rate. When I change to fundamentalism, my science slows down, but the AI seems to slow down also! If I am in a good position for conquest, then I can start bribing all the AI cities by keeping taxes at 80%. I also think the AI does not consider the science generated by caravans. In this mode, I can build caravans and still get ahead in science. Try it.

Comment

This why I like the Statue of Liberty wonder at least a little but; because if a situation arises that I need to change governments to faciclitate some strategy, poof! there it is.
        I notice the computer layers changing governments fairly often, probably to optomize it's civ's current resources.

Comment

I switch to Monarchy ASAP, then usually stay there until I get SOL. Then I switch back and forth betweeen demo and communism. Demo is better to change to because the +1 happy from courthouses and palace makes getting "we love you" days easier. Just build a temple, marketplace, courthouse, and aqueduct and poof!- size 12 city. After which a switch to communism w/mike's= 6 content from military, 2 from temple, 3-4 from mikes= 11-12 content people. Throw in JSB and luxuries can be set to 0% w/o worrying about disorder-but I prefer to have "we love the comrade" days for that extra trade. Democracy and communism are the best warmongering governments IMHO.

(note-I play a modified fascist patch, so communism =10 free support, while Theocracy[fundy] only has 3 free)
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Thall on 12-07-1999 04:39 AM
            Fundamentalism is good, TOO good IMHO. The reduction of science by 50% is not a good enough disadvantage when you consider the phenomenal amount of money and happiness you can gain from it, not to mention military support.
            -------
            Absolutely: as soon as I found out how, I edited the game file to cut down science production for fundies.

Comment

Allow a dedicated fundamentalist to disagree! The double hit of maximum effective rate (50%) and only 50% efficiency means that the poor Fundamentalist has to struggle with an effective 25% science rate with a further 25% of assets wasted!
              I think that the paltry recompense offered by 10 free units and no unhappiness is barely adequate!!

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor

"Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

ZhugeLiang...Prior to Adam Smith if a city has lots of corruption a courthouse will reduce corruption sufficiently so that the courthouse is effectively free. I consider economics a priority and, as soon as I can afford to purchase the remaining shields, buy Adam Smith. Then the courthouse and many other improvements are actually free.

Also, if you change to Democracy a court house increases the number of happy people by one. This can often get a turn or two of We Love The President Days. Because this happiness effect is guaranteed, a courthouse is often the first improvement I will build in a city. (Only when my government is a Democracy.)

Note: By the time I go to Democracy I usually have sufficient happiness Wonders that I don't need to build a temple right away.

------------------
                If you can not think of a good reason to build something other than a caravan, build a caravan!
                If you can not think of a good reason to build something other than a caravan, build a caravan!

Comment

Working...
                X