No announcement yet.

Governments. :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I've always made a beeline for Democracy and stayed there at all costs. I make Women's Suffrage a top priority (and generally Cure for Cancer, which appears to be frowned upon on some of these boards), and with it it's not all that hard to put up fairly large offensives. True you gotta check the happiness advisor every round to make sure you don't plunge into chaos, but I've always felt it's worth it to maintain high income/research, and bribery proof units and cities. But now with all these Commies out there, I'm wondering if there's not something I'm missing...

-Capt. Psquire

Comment

The rise of communism popularity is somewhat due to MP.
      In MP you don't get all the happiness wonders. In MP having more defensive and offensive troops is required. If you get aced out of all the happiness wonders, you make a beeline for SOL. Double martial law is big when you have no happiness wonders, and haven't add the surplus resources to build cols or caths. Before playing MP, I can say I almost never used Com. but now I find it to be very useful.

RAH
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Blaupanzer
        About bribing cities, the book that goes with my game states that "communist cities are difficult to bribe even when located far from the capital".
        The formula I have in mind is: S(T+1000)/(D+3), where
        S = Size of the city
        T = Treasury of the civ owning that city
        D = Distance from the capital of that civ (distance being measured between the capital and the dip who is attempting to bribe).
        The max of D would be 32 for all civs except communist civs where it would be 10. Hence a city size 10 located 40 squares away from the capital of a civ owning a treasury of 2500 would cost 10(3500)/35 = 1000 if the civ is fundy, and 35000/13 = 2700 if the civ is commie.
        The price is doubled if there is a courthouse in the city (you stated that rightly: it is written in the book,... or else the book is wrong as it happens now and then ).
        I have also in mind that the price is halved if the city is in disorder or empty, 84% using a spy and 67% using a vet spy instead of a dip. Last but not least, the price is halved if the city has been yours in the past (bribing back with a vet spy is delicious; I must confess it happens to me to do it on purpose: let the enemy dip come in, spend a lot of money bribing my costly communist city, then bribe back my city next turn for 1/3 of the price, then bribe his remaining cities at low cost).
        What I don't know is whether all those results have been tested thoroughly. A veteran apolytoner will probably tell us soon.

Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

I would expect we'll hear from the vets. Didn't know about the different max distance to the capitol calculation for Communism. Love this site; all the new stuff you can learn, even after 8 years or so of playing.

(Side note, off-topic: Are you the same La Fayette of Wizardry RPG sites? Same is also from France, but I don't remember the city. Keep civvin'.)
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Everybody here is okay with the fact that switching to Monarchy is the best to do early in the game....But after that, choosing a new government depends on some other facts; the most important is , the level in which im playing....

If im playing in Deity level, I wont go in Democracy/Republic, citizen are too angry, and you're always at war with someone, so comminism will be a good choice....But if im playing warlord (what will never happens ) i guess every govs will fit to the situation......

After all its only a matter of level....
            [This message has been edited by rixxe (edited December 15, 2000).]

Comment

My name is Everyman and I'm a Communist.

Ok, the way I look at things is that I'm playing a computer game and the reason I'm doing it is to have some fun at home. At deity level, I prefer Communism over other advanced forms of government because it allows me to do two things I enjoy: gain techs in 2-3 turns and pummel my enemies militarily. I do not enjoy dealing with unhappy cities, so I generally stay from Democracy.

My general strategy for winning at Deity level is to head for Democracy, build the SOL and switch to Communism to get rid of corruption and get an immediate boost in science and trade. If I'm behind in science and don't have spies yet, I'll switch to Fundie and aquire techs by conquering cities.

But Communism is the most versatile government and most of the time I'll stick with it until the last pitiful city is wiped off the map.

Comment

Everyman makes a good point. We all know that Demo is the best government for research, but when I am a practicing Commie and getting advances even every 5 turns, well that's good enough for me.

Some folks have said that fundy is a better military government. I'd have to disagree there. With the faster research rate under Communism, I'll get to the more dangerous military advances much more quickly than if under Fundy. An army full of Fanatics and Dragoons will get crushed by my Alpine Yellows, Calvary, and Spies.
                "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Bohlen on 12-15-2000 04:51 PM
                  Everyman makes a good point. We all know that Demo is the best government for research, but when I am a practicing Commie and getting advances even every 5 turns, well that's good enough for me.

Some folks have said that fundy is a better military government. I'd have to disagree there. With the faster research rate under Communism, I'll get to the more dangerous military advances much more quickly than if under Fundy. An army full of Fanatics and Dragoons will get crushed by my Alpine Yellows, Calvary, and Spies.

Strange... I always agree with your posts.

------------------
                  Go Redskins!

Email me at
                  SilverDragon141@aol.com

Comment

Only play at deity. Gov choices still very real once you learn the little tricks. I learned most of them here. Check out the GL.
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

(Blaupanzer
                      Being a frenchman and sending posts about strategy to the USA, the choice of that name is very tempting. So I won't blame the other frenchman you mention. But Ming's forum is my one and only forum, and I think I am the one and only frenchman posting here.)

------------------
                      aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental
                      Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

And a fine representative at that!

Comment

Working...
                        X