Question about research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about research

I premise I don't possess any kind of guide written for civ2 nor I can guess whether they actually exist in Italy or not. I've also checked the Apolyton for some analogous thread, and I've found nothing.

So, here's the question: is there a way to determine the amount of science beakers needed for each advance?

At first, I'd guess it's connected with the AI Value in @CIVILIZE, maybe with Civilized Modifier too. The current game turn has its relevance too, so that later discoveries request more beakers than early ones. Also, I found somewhere it's connected with the difficulty level. Maybe someone has got a sort of formula?

One clarification: I know the feature of the tech paradigm. That doesn't have to do with my question.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Mirko. Someone once did the calculations. It was a long time ago, possibly even last year, posted in either the MP or Strategy Forums. Short of either that person reading this or you trawling through the archives, I'm not sure how you'd find them. The game level, though, is certainly a factor.

The only contribution I can make is a table from "Civ 2- The Official Strategy Guide", a book published a couple of years ago by a Microprose insider. It only teases rather than really explains anything, as follows:

Science Increment - the modifier used to help determine how many Science light bulbs are required to discover the next Advance:

Chief 6
    Warlord 8
    Prince 10
    King 12
    Emperor 14
    Deity 14*

*On Deity level, this number may be adjusted + or - 1, depending on how far ahead or behind you are in research.

Best I can do. Sorry.

------------------
    Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
    Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
    Horse & Hydey Wrangler
    Finally! A Hyphen!
    Mono Rules!
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Set science to zero.Make sure you have no scientists.The # of turns to complete research is the # of beakers.

Theoretically
      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

The number of beakers needed also depends on the map size and probably on one or more standings other than the tech race itself.

Apart from those modifications, the requirement increases with each new tech you acquire. This basic pattern is not very regular though, there are several big leaps. So if there is a formula at all it won't be one continuous function of the # of techs.

You can find the exact number of beakers needed for the next tech by setting your science rate at zero (and disemploying all scientists).

------------------
        If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
        A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
        Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Working...
        X