the Gigamap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Gigamap

Julius whats-his-face just created a giant earthmap that seems to work fine in MPG. He e-mailed it to me. Please get it and tell me if I'm an idiot or not.

See Civ2-Creation for his e-mail
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Works in both map editor and game, really is 127 x 200 something. Analyze map gives a strange message I've never seen.

Europe is actually a lot smaller than the normal earthmap. Northern southern projection is hugely exaggerated.
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Seeker is the map any good? Its hard to play world map because its so easy but i really enjoy a historical aspect in civ

Comment

Well it's really good in that you can edit it to make any map you want (even random), but europe is too small and antarctica is too big

Comment

Seeker, yes this map is not perfect.
          But as the world is round and the map is flat, no map will ever be.
          If you want to create one, I would gladly send you an empty map of the coordonates you aks, up to 32768 (for example 143x229).
          Just send a mail to julius.brenzaida@infomaniak.ch

------------------
          Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
          Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Is it possible to create a random map larger than the
            default Large ?
            If so, how can it be done ?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Andromeda on 10-05-2000 05:23 AM
              Is it possible to create a random map larger than the
              default Large ?
              If so, how can it be done ?

Yes it can be done. You must hexedit the civ2map.exe or the main civ2.exe programm and then empty or random maps up to 32767 will be created. It works only for Civ2 Multiplayer and Test of Times. I've made the modification for both, but I am not sure it would be legal to distribute it. After all, it is Microprose programms, not mine (as would be my gigamap). I've asked Apolyton and they haven't answered yet. A little patience please. For more informations, see this thread : http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum4/HT...tml?date=17:36

------------------

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 09-25-2000 03:02 PM
                Seeker, yes this map is not perfect.
                But as the world is round and the map is flat, no map will ever be.

What you can do, however, is to compensate and shrink vertically, instead of horizontally. That way the sizes of the continents compare well, though the dimensions are of course a little off.

------------------
                If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
                A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

I have had problems getting the gigamap installed. Every time I load it, it appears to be just an endless desert. Does it only work with certain versions?
                  ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                  ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Yes, only MGE or ToT will load it.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Seeker on 10-12-2000 12:21 AM
                      Yes, only MGE or ToT will load it.

How do I know which version I have?
                      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

The game version detail are in the title bar of the Game | Game Options screen - or just hit Ctrl - O

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                        "The Great Library must be built!"
                        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

It works fine on the mac versions of MGE AND 2.42.Does for me anyway.
                          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I tried it in 2.42 before (PC), and it came out really messed up. It worked as advertised for ToT though.

Comment

Working...
                            X