Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do when you start off in the midst of mountains, plains, and deserts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, but in a MP game you can't just leave if your starting position stinks. You have to deal with it.

And even though the AI (in the end) isn't much of a problem, it's still good to have practised against it a few times.

But I always get that frustrating feeling if I don't find a couple of trade specials early in MP. And checking the top five cities while wandering, only to see that everyone else are breeding like rabbits...

I HATE IT!

I guess what I'm saying is that restarting against the AI is convenient, but it's also a bad habit that takes the edge out of your play.

I also think of it this way. When playing MP you're actually going to get whacked for the first time in years. But hey, if it hadn't been for that lousy starting position...

Carolus

Comment

My post was a reply to CtG, MWHC posted in between.

Carolus

Comment

It's luck in MP. Luck of the dice! Start off on a river system that can support 5 or 6 cities - along with silk or whales nearby... you've already won the first few sessions (which means the first wonders -- which means the game). I'd really like to see the starting positions of games played. Than we can all see how important starting positions really are. People need to start saving the maps on turn 1. Play the game out (however far it gets). Than post screen shots of the start locations.

Luck... it really is just that. Still fun because I'm sure there are games where all players get good or bad starts. But, if one person gets a super start (2 or 3 whales on a river/forest) - what an advantage. But I guess thats the way it is in real life also.

Comment

But you can lose in a position like that... cheaters... cough... cough...

___
          CtG
          I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

I like the idea of saving on turn 1. I shall do that from now on.

Graag

------------------
            A man could not be in two places at the same time unless he were a bird!
            I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
            Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Well, eh...

OK, luck matters. But it's not all about the best starting position, that is to simplify things too much. There's a lot more to the game...

Outstanding sites are rare, but aren't the real bad ones too? Anyway, I doubt I would win against a really good player like Xin Yu even if I have a great first city or two and he only have dirt.

And there's always the "AI-syndrome"! Gang up on the "lucky" guy to contain his aggression...

Carolus

Comment

MWHC...you say, if the AI is a threat to attack a city, just transform the city center to hills. I have tried to get my settler to do a transform when he is in the city center, but my game (2.42, I'm sure) doesn't let him do that. Does it take an engineer? or how do you have it set so the city center can be transformed to hills???
                Before you criticize your enemy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then if he gets really angry at your criticism, you are a mile away, and he is barefoot.

Comment

I used to re-start from poor positions. But MWHC is right about playing those bad locations to sharpen your skills.

One of the most enjoyable games I played was having a really poor capital. Moscow was a dump! (Plains/tundra) I kept wishing someone would nuke it - as I would have gained more trade if it was flattened to a car park! The next couple of cities were not much better. Things became more difficult as hostile Greeks appeared to my east. On the brink of despair, I found a decent spot for a science city - three silk. After a close race I just managed to build the Colossus there. The rest is history and a lot of catching up.

Sure, it's great to have a wonderful capital - but not essential.

-----------

Scouse Git (2)
                  "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                  "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Only an engineer can transform a city square from plains to hills, but a settler is capable of removing trees beneath a city square if you have reason to build one there.
                    [This message has been edited by wonderdog4 (edited January 17, 2000).]
                    Personal home page
                    Business home page
                    About.com site

Comment

Wonderdog4 Yes, I have had engineers transform "a city square" but MWHC was stating that he would transform the "center" square of a city to hills to give the city extra defense against AI attack. I would like for someone to tell me what I need to do to accomplish that kind of transform. Thanks. PW
                      Originally posted by wonderdog4 on 01-17-2000 10:36 PM
                      Only an engineer can transform a city square from plains to hills, but a settler is capable of removing trees beneath a city square if you have reason to build one there.
                      [This message has been edited by wonderdog4 (edited January 17, 2000).]
                      Before you criticize your enemy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then if he gets really angry at your criticism, you are a mile away, and he is barefoot.

Comment

W4E -

I play on King (my next new game will be on Emperor, i just have to finish up the Americans in my current game), and i don't know about waiting 2 millenium. I guess since i try and play ICS it would sort of put a kink in pumpng out my settlers.
                        By the way War4ever, what's your favorite war-time unit to attack with? I would have to imagine if you are behind the AI that unit owuld be rather worthless (unless it's howies or nukes or something like that).

Comment

This is a no brainer - quit game, start again.

------------------
                          Founder of the People's Republic of Off Topic (PROT)

Comment

in theory.... i believe that the quick restart from bad terrain in single player is why there are so many quitters in MP.... no one likes to work hard to build their civ.... i play lots and i win more than i lose, and i beat and lose to the same people.... its humbling but thats the way it is and all my games make me even better and more difficult to beat..... the key with a bad start is to expand to better land..... you can always move the capital and the happy wonders do not win you games...... if you cant' get them then take the wall or sunzu's or library .... tech means crap when it can be stolen oh so easily
                            Sandmonkey.... i like crusaders obviously... but i use a lot of dips now ,,,, especially in stacks with a defensive unit like a pikeman

------------------
                            They call me Mr. Fierce

icq 30200920
                            Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Working...
                            X