Diplomatic finding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diplomatic finding

I found (in a scenario) that if I talked to an AI civ during my turn (either by moving to a square next to his unit/city, or by hitting 'F3'), the AI was really naughty; however, if it was the AI's turn, then I could get a lot of good stuff. Here's the details.

In scenario 'Alexander' (comes with civ2 MPE), I played Alexander.

I talked to the Greeks during my turn. They first asked me to declare war on another civ, then asked me to give the 'secret of construction'. They never agreed to pay tribute, and if I did not agree to cease fire or peace, 'so be it'.

However, if I parked a light chivalry between Athens (my city) and Sparta (Greek city), and waited for the Greek troops to come, the conversation (happened during the Greek's turn) was totally different. First I rejected a cease fire and got philosophy for it, then I rejected peace and got 450 golds for it (Greeks only saved 35 golds for themselves). When I wanted an alliance, they asked a tech (construction) and a war against another civ. I agreed, and within two turns the Greeks were attacking the Persian, their ally.

What happened next is out of the scope of this topic, but worths mentioning. The Persian troops were heading toward me, but they had to turn around to defend its city against the Greeks. I waited till the Persian troops were in or next to the city then used 447 golds (Greek money!) to bribe it(+5 units and plundered 60 golds). In the battle Greeks and Persian lost 2-3 units each.

<<Update: Later I found that if I waited till the second turn then talk to the AI I got good stuff.>>

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Xin Yu (edited December 24, 1999).]</font>

Ive kinda noticed the same thing - different results (and worseones usually too) depending on whose do the contacting. Ive always assumed it was supposed to be to do with something like who the "supplicant" or something... some kind of modifier. Certainly, historically, envoys were usually expected to arrive bearing gifts, an dyou are the one requesting an audience. Then again maybe its just a bug
    Peter H.

Comment

In MP, the AI tends to treat you like another AI during the "human" players turn, which means it's far more likely to trade, give tribute, ect. I guess the same thing applies in single player with MPGE.
      "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
      "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Another strange thing. Save the game and ask an AI to pay tribute, suppose they paid. load the saved file using the game menu, then ask tribute again -- no tribute this time.

The attitude of AI does not get refreshed when you load a saved game. It thinks that it has just paid you.

Also, if you lose a battle and reload the game and win, you may receive a report of 'unit lost' anyway.

Comment

Great story!!!
          I also followed your strategy on this particular scenario and got exactly the same results.
          Next turn i made a contact with AI first and got couple of 'so be it',but turn after that i ended with 650 gold plus.
          Strange thing is 'no switching goverment allowed',but when i got republic i simply choosed 'begin revolution' and i was in rep 4 turns later.
          It's really amazing how did you managed with simple diplomacy to gain enormous advantage in very begining of this scenario.
          I used to always go for Sparta 1st.

My life, my rules

Comment

I think i got it. It doesn't matter who made the 1st contact. If you hit F3 in that particular scenario you'll find your power 'Pathetic',no matter you're currently 2nd world power (Persians are 1st). I dunno why's that,but i guess scenario maker have set it up that way. Very next turn,your power is strong now,all civs but Persians(enraged) change their attitude into uncooperative and you get your tribute as usuall,even if you call'em 1st.
            My life, my rules

Comment

Working...
            X