The (Almost) No Science Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The (Almost) No Science Challenge

How early in the game is it possible to set your %science to zero, gain no further civ adavnces, and still win? I'm assuming a normal sort of world, so you would have to acquire at least one trireme.

I'm also assuming you can really shut off the process of gaining advances entirely; haven't tried this...

- toby robison

------------------
    toby robison
    criticalpaths@mindspring.com
    toby robison
    criticalpaths@mindspring.com

I tried this as a challenge a couple of years ago, and basically came to the conclusion that a good warmonger who understands trade and has a little bit of a lucky start can win by never researching at all. The keys are some early contact/conquering of other civs and getting monarchy through an early goody hut, trade, or conquering. If you don't get monarchy before too long, you're in deep.

Also, an ICS strategy (however despised) is extremely helpful.

It seems well-nigh impossible as a perfectionist.

Comment

congrats Casper for having post #10,000 on the strategy boards!
      Be the bid!

Comment

Does he win a prize? Maybe a year's free membership?

Comment

I don't think they can afford to give away a full year free membership, maybe just six months.
          Be the bid!

Comment

Without gaining any sciences at all (no tech trough conquest, refuse tech gifts/swap/theft), you should be able to do it after monotheism. I've conquered small world, deity, 7 with crusaders only. Monotheism/elephants is possible, I think, at least if you don't run into pikemen/walls. But you probably will in most games.

Relaxing the rules, you might do it earlier. Try trading, begging, demanding, stealing. Will get you far after writing.

Check out no cities challenge for an extreme variety. With the right world, right number of AIs and a huge bucket of luck, you could win without any advance at all.

C.

Comment

Working...
            X