Nominated Players Tourney - To Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nominated Players Tourney - To Date

Interested observors have requested a summary of Tourney results and the basis for the pairs/MP groupings. I am delighted by the interest and the opportunity to provide some information:

1. TOURNEY SUMMARY

(WINNER LISTED FIRST)

Round 1 (Duels - 4 pts)
    ARITEA 4 CAPTVK
    CARNIDE 4 CRUSTACIAN
    CURUMBOR 4 DEITY
    JEDI 4 KENTHUR
    MARK E 4 FINBAR
    MARKUS 4 EMPRESS
    NAPPY 4 SMARTFART
    WAR4EVER 4 ALEX'S HORSE

Round 2 (Duels - 4 pts)
    ALEX'S HORSE 4 FINBAR
    ARITEA 4 MARK E
    CRUSTACIAN 4 KENTHUR
    DEITY 4 CAPTVK
    JEDI 4 WAR4EVER
    MARKUS 4 CARNIDE
    NAPPY 4 CURUMBOR
    SMARTFART 4 EMPRESS

Round 3 (MP - 4/3/2/1 pts)
    Current Total Pts (Rds 1 & 2)
    GAME A
    MARKUS 8
    CRUSTACIAN 4
    ARITEA 8
    NAPPY 8

GAME B
    MARK E 4
    CURUMBOR 4
    DEITY 4
    FINBAR 0

GAME C
    CARNIDE 4
    SMARTFART 4
    CAPTVK 0
    EMPRESS 0

2. This has been set up as a Swiss System tourney. The key aspect of it is that those with the same or closest points play each other the following round. The Swiss System, used in most chess tourneys, keeps the most successful players competing against each other (the exception being that players should not play the same people more than once. This tends to arrive at a clear winner in the shortest number of rounds.

Rounds 1 & 2 were duels, 4 points to the winner and zero to the loser. Rounds 3 & 4 are MP games, with points of 4/3/2/1 for 1st/2nd/3rd/4th place, respectively.

Round 1 was set up alphabetically (with some late additions though), there being no scores to base pairings on. The possible scores after Round 1 were 4 or 0.

In Round 2, the winners in Round 1 all played other Round 1 winners (pairings made randomly). The possible scores after Round 2 were 8, 4, and 0.

In Round 3, I attempted to keep to the "same score" idea, but some scheduling problems and 2 withdrawals forced some changes. The 4 MP games were thus reduced to 3, and some adjustments were made to accomodate time zone difficulties.

For the Round 3 MP games (4 players each), I placed a "4" player in the "8" group, and mixed the "4" and "0" players into 2 games. The score groups are therefore as closely matched as possible, and the are no "8" and "0" players in the same game.

When Round 3 is completed, there will be a much greater range of possible scores (all scores from 0-12 are possible).

Round 4 will group players by score (to the extent possible by time zone difficulties). Since it is *very* important that the top-scoring players compete, time zome difficulties must be less of a concern.
    Round 4 will determine the Tourney winner (unless there is a tie score).

In the case of a tie (for 1st place only), there will either be a duel or MP game (as appropriate).

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

I applaud your and the players efforts here.I think all are starting to realize how difficult this is/will be to complete.Logistically speaking, its' a bit of nightmare.

Good Luck
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Cavebear, can you run everything past me again after "Interested....".

Comment

AlexHorse - I can send it to you by email if it would help. One word at a time... :>
        Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner

Comment

Words of one syllable would be best.

------------------
          finbar
          Mono Rules!
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Cavebear, you misspelt "observers"

Comment

AlexHorse - You can blame that sort of thing on my Latin teacher (the language, not the dance). I learned a great deal about my native English language there. There are some word structures in which "or" is used rather than "er" to demonstrate human action, and I have a tendency to fall back on Latin in that regard.

Morare Disce Est! ("All horses fall from high tree branches") LOL

Comment

Um Cavebear, if you are American, english is not your native language.

We forgive you though - everyone knows Americans can't spell

Comment

I'm still having trouble keeping up with this tournament, I don't envy you your job Cavebear, must be difficult.

Hoping that someone within each MP game can post to this thread when the MP game is complete to fill us in. I have been trying to follow the individual threads but can't keep track of the different games. Great Idea Cavebear btw, to have this tournament. Looking forward to the final round.
                  "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

This tourney rocks!!!

It's kinda hard to continue multiplayer games,but on tournament players have much stronger intentions to continue started games.

I strongly suggest Nominated Players Tourney 2 as soon as this one is finished.

Tournaments on Gameleague aren't my types of games because of settings.

------------------
                    No i ain't doing much,doing nothing means alot to me (AC/DC)
                    My life, my rules

Comment

Yeah, gotta agree with you there SmartFart!

I nominate makeo to be in the next one.
                      And everyone who stayed with this round.
                      There are prob a few others who are both good and reliable but can't think of them at the moment....

------------------
                      *THE DEITY*

Comment

Working...
                      X