Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Priming cities to maximize trade bonuses during your turn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the goto command, but how do you rehome a caravan without having to move it to the city? Or do you just move all caravans to that city before they are sent off on their trek?

And Ming, why would it be illegal or unethical to rehome caravans? When I have Shake's I try to rehome as many units as possible to that city.
    <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by berzerker (edited May 27, 2000).]</font>

Comment

I didn't knew about priming feature until Ming told me few months ago.
      So you guys actually telling people how to do it,then come out with some restrictions?
      j/k

I agree with Xin Yu about this one. It's important in the beggining when research lasts 5-6 turns.
      Later,when it takes 2-3 turns,several beakers-coins doesn't worth a pain of micromanaging. No matter which turn.
      My life, my rules

Comment

And *I* didn't know about priming your trade until this thread! What I don't know about this game would fill a book (and WHERE can I buy that book please?).

I'm beginning to understand why some people learn to do so well against the AI (endless time for detailed use of such micromanagement) but have such a hard time against human players (with set times for moves).

My opinion is that games should always have set times per move and that you can choose what you want to manage in that time.
        Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
        Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
        Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
        Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

After seeing some of the responses I'd like to clarify my thoughts. I agree with everyone that every beaker is important. All I'm trying to say is that if people maximize trade for a caravan, that they should be stuck with that city allocation for a turn. I'm not thrilled but not as concerned with sending to allies if it can be done without delaying the game. I consider it like doing city maintenance during your turn which everyone seems to agree shouldn't be done.

Bird, due to lag time problems I'd prefer not to use the timer. In the few games that I've used a timer it seems not to count the time at the beginning of your turn during the city update sequence as time against you. This seemed to encourage doing city maintanence then. (please correct me if i'm wrong about this) Also, When you do move a large army on an offensive you may need extra time. Since I love anything that encourages warfare, I'm against timers.

I've been in too many games were they stall due to all the caravan cashing. I don't mind the time it takes to move caravans because I agree it's a critical part of strategy. But temporary shifting workers without suffing any consequences from doing such and making the turns take sometimes twice as long is something that I would love to see minimized.

Xin, Can you really rehome caravans still? I thought that was fixed in one of the patches.
          Since we agreed to not do it prior to the fix, I haven't tested it.

RAH
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Berzerker... Rehoming caravans has been discussed (well, beat into the ground) often, and the general thought was that it was cheating. Considering that the Command menu allows you to rehome units, but not caravans, was the logical rules argument against it. You had to go into the city menu, click on the unit, and then rehome it to make it work for caravans. However, I really thought it was fixed in the MP patch so this couldn't be done.

As far as rehoming regular units, I don't think anybody has ever had a problem with that since it is a documented feature of the game

I also don't believe in playing games with time limits. Not because I don't play fast, but because it always seems I have to deal with some family crisis during the 4 to 5 hour session. If all players in the game do the best they can, that's all I ever ask. Some turns are just going to take longer. If you are making a massive attack, you should have time to complete it.
            I do all city maintanence and diplomacy during other peoples turns.
            But, this redoing a city to maximize trade during the turn really sucks. Again, I have no problem with people doing it... it's just WHEN they do it. If you want the max trade advantage from your cavarans, set it up between turns like other city maintanence.

It's really unfair, and totally against the spirit of the rules to do it during the turn, and it just takes too much damn time
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Time limits.

Comment

I want to add that my concern with time limits is to protect against those players who will spend inordinate amounts of time perfecting their cities on their turns, who are busy with other interests while the game is underway, or just enjoy messing with other players' heads as a strategy.

I fully support giving most players all the time they need, because I know they won't abuse it. If one turn takes 2 minutes and the next one 5 minutes (whatever), I accept that as their temporary requirements. I seldom refuse a request for unlimited time.

It's just those few people who seek an advantage that concern me, and so I usually request a set time until I get to know their play habits. People who normally move along well get more time from me when they need it. I'll also add that beginners get more time, too.
                Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Working...
                X