No announcement yet.

REVIVE THE TOURNEMENT GAMES!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah tournaments are fun. I remember running a couple a while back.

I dont see why they need to be 'interesting map' or scenarios, the way we used to run tournaments is if anyone played a game (randomly generated) that happened to be good/unusual it would become a tournament game. Designed maps or scenarios could never compete with the interesting games the computer throws up from time to time.

Graag
    I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
    Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Graag - the big advantage of a scenario is that it allows people to play at any level of difficulty. I think this would widen the audience, since not everyone here is a Deity player. If someone has an "interesting" map, it's easy enough to convert it to a scenario.

Comment

Dave, I was going to reply to your mail, but since you posted here, I might as well reply:

sounds good, what about the game to be used? anyone got a suggestion??

Comment

I'll repeat my suggestion of several months ago: a game in which no wonders can be built (except for Apollo).

Comment

Time constraints (like earning a living) allowing it sounds fun - for the benefit of myself and the other relative newbies - what are the rules?

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

SG1 - what I am planning on doing is something like the One City Challenge comparison games. A game is made available for download. People play it and compare results. No restrictions on rules - you can play OCC, conquest, or multi-city spaceship win.

Comment

Whoa...I think I lost track of something along the way...

If someone else has taken the reins from incompitent ol' me, then great, but I'd like to run it, if I haven't blown my chance.

PS I think I tried to email Mark and my email wouldn't let me do, so I got pissed and never got around to sending the actual email. Sorry...
                "One is never too old to die young." Sgt. Sheets
                FREE YYYH and Stewart Spink
                We shall never forget!!

Comment

Sounds equitable, Dave.

The original tournement game on the Civ 2 Universe was a random map with a favorable starting possition for everyone and the object was to see how well you did by 1000 A.D.

My idea was basicly tweek this with more interesting planets and set the beginning at different eras.

See, what happened is I wrote all this up, a nice two page email document, which I did not bother to save. I emailed MarkG, and then the email told me I couldn't send the letter, and furthermore, everything crashed and I lost my document. I got so pissed I simply forgot to do it.
                  We shall never forget!!

Comment

Sergeant Sheets - I'm certainly not trying to usurp your position. I'm no scenario guru, nor a masochist who wants to volunteer for a lot of work. If you want to run the tournament, that's fine with me - I just didn't want the idea to fade away.

Comment

well, I'll leave it to the people of this forum to come up with a game. mail me when you're set to go.

Comment

I'll throw something together. I'll be a scenario, but I think it'll be some made up thing set on a computer made planet. I got write down my ideas and so forth so the scenario doesn't come out like crap.
                        We shall never forget!!

Comment

Since you seem intent on doctoring a map, may I make two suggestions:

A long thin map (20*250 or whatever), goal is conquest. Earliest conquest wins.

A large map, with the player starting on a small island (big enough for 3-5 cities), far away from all the other, larger islands with an AI civ each. Colonisation of any form is banned (including tribes), the only way to get cities is through conquest or bribery. Goal is world conquest, earliest wins.

Graag

------------------
                          You should never smoke in pyjamas, you could start a fire and burn your face
                          I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
                          Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

My idea was a medium world with limited resources.

The island idea is good, but it seems drawn out. Conquest will be the objective, of course. What I am thinking is this:

Seven civs, three which to pick from. The civs you can pick from each must start their civ from stratch, while the AI is given a bit of a head start.
                            We shall never forget!!

Comment

Lord, you guys are masochists!

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                              X