Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Civ III will stop you playing Civ II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think Civ III will stop you playing Civ II?

I think its possible people might continue with both, subject to how good Civ III is.

Are you getting bored with Civ II after 5 years?

------------------
    Founder, Dear Leader and Great Helmsman of the People's Republic of Topics www.delphi.com/prot1

I'll buy and try Civ 3. If it's demonstrably better, I'll move on to it. Keeping Civ 2 on the HD for games with those who continue with Civ 2 for whatever reason.

------------------
    Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
    Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
    Horse and Hydey Wrangler
    Mono Rules!
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Civ II still amuses me... If CivIII sucks, I know what I will be playing
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

One issue is whether Civ III will be windowed or not. If you need to use icq or aim, or like to do other stuff, maybe you'll stay with Civ II.

------------------
        Founder, Dear Leader and Great Helmsman of the People's Republic of Topics www.delphi.com/prot1

Comment

Are you kidding? I still play civ1!
          Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
          ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

It's a tough call. If it's a bust like the call to power series, or a disapointment like ToT, then I won't change at all. But I think that the civ franchise would die in that event. I don't think it can take another negative hit to it's reputation like Ctp 2. If it is what a lot of us hope for, then Civ-2 will go the way of the dinosaur for me, just as civ-1 did and the old Avalon Hill Civilization did.

------------------
            All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
            I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
            i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

II is good until something better comes along. A game like this has a hard time getting old, as every game played is never the same as the one before....
              I see the world through bloodshot eyes
              Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

Well, I thought I would stop playing CivII when CtP came out, and also when ToT came out. And I didn't, basically because I couldn't understand CtP, it kept crashing, etc... ToT I do play, but it's basically CivII with better graphics, as everyone knows.

I'll give up CivII if CivIII is a better game, it runs well, and if I *like* it better. It could be a better game with a smarter AI, fewer cheats, more options and so on, but if it was too complicated to learn, I probably wouldn't play it. What can I say, I'm lazy...

And, of course, it's not as if I whip the AI's butt everytime I play on Deity! CivII still holds challenges for me, when I do get the chance to play.

STYOM

"I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I have spent too much time making mod packs for Civ II to stop playing it!

Comment

CIV2 didn't stop me playing CIV

CIV3 won't stop me playing CIV2

CIV3 won't stop me playing CIV

TRANSMISSION ENDED

Comment

It all depends on how good or bad (blasphemy!) Civ III will be.

I trust Meier so I'd say that after CIV III comes out I'll play CIV II very rarely just for the nostalgia trip..!

Comment

Yeah. I had one nostalgic return to Civ but it only lasted one game. I have taken a long break from Civ2 on two or three occasions but each time a nostalgic return reignited the passion and led on to another bout of obsessive play.

From what has been said and shown already I know that I will play Civ3 exclusively for a longish while after it comes out but it will need to be either as close to Civ2 as Civ 2 was to Civ or an awsomely good game in its own right to break this cycle.

I have a huge respect for the developers of both Civ and Civ2 but I think they were also lucky here and there. SMAC is a very fine game but somehow the very fact that it is more polished and has less quirkyness in the gameplay means that it doesn't grip me quite in the way Civ2 does.

So my guess is that Civ3 will be excellent, but an element of luck will determine whether it's gameplay manages to displace Civ2. I'd bet that, in the end, it won't.

Comment

Well, hopefully, it will.

Sorry to revert to the game of my fathers, but.....

Stopped playing SF2ce, when SF2 Turbo came out
                          Stopped playing SF2 Turbo when Zero came out etc etc

------------------
                          Yoga Flame
                          Yoga Flame

Comment

I agree - if Civ3 is to Civ2 what Civ2 was to Civ1, then I'll move up to Civ3 and stay there. In fact, if SMAC had been the same game but in Civ2 clothing, I'd probably have done it already (SMAC being Civ2 with better diplomacy and borders, but the same game style). I just hope they know what they're doing. If they CTP-ify it, I'll cry into my beer. (Even though I don't drink beer. I will buy beer especially for the occasion.)

Comment

@event
                              If Civ3>Civ2
                              THEN
                              Civ2=uninstall
                              ENDIF

I hope Civ3 will stop me to play Civ2...

Comment

Working...
                              X