Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to automate

Hi again,

I was playing the other day and I set one island with the settlers on Auto and did the setlers on manual on the other. The guys on auto although at first seemed to be spinning there wheels after a period of time they seem to do a good job.
    Any thoughts
    RJ

The only good automated Settler is one that belongs to another player ...
    (although they can sometimes perform some miraculous irrigation)

------------------
    Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
    "The Great Library must be built!"
    "A short cut has to be challenging,
    were it not so it would be 'the way'."
    - Paul Craven
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

my thought is that I stay away from anything that is automated.

I like to dig the earth with my own...not hands...but ....umm.....i think you all know what I mean.....

"If you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself"
      I see the world through bloodshot eyes
      Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

I just set a spy to 'go to' a specified point. She could have arrived in 2 go's by using the cheap, easy and attractive railway system I set up. Did she? Did she, a***. She chose to hop off the rails, for a scenic trek through the mountains(without even a dirt track)......mug.
        Moral...if you feel like setting units to 'go to' and 'auto', stop, save the game, and play later.

------------------
        Yoga Flame
        Yoga Flame

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Dhalsim on 04-06-2001 05:36 PM
          She could have arrived in 2 go's by using the cheap, easy and attractive railway system I set up.

Perhaps her previous rail trip was on Virgin Trains, so she thought - uhmm better walk
          -----------
          SG(2)

"Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

And what about those engineers you put on auto to clean up pollution, make farmland, etc.? They sit forever on polluted tiles doing nothing -- far quicker to send one there manually and press 'p', and that's it, job done. Or you suddenly notice one of them irrigating a useful, shield-producing forest while all around there are un-irrigated plains and grassland!

No thanks, I prefer my own intelligence.

Ilkuul

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
            Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".

Comment

The only time I put settlers on auto is near the end of the game when I send the ship to AC and I just want to get the game over with.

Comment

Considering how limited the AI is, I automate nothing.

------------------
                All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
                I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

quote:

I just set a spy to 'go to' a specified point. She could have arrived in 2 go's by using the cheap, easy and attractive railway system I set up. Did she? Did she, a***. She chose to hop off the rails, for a scenic trek through the mountains(without even a dirt track)......mug.
                  Moral...if you feel like setting units to 'go to' and 'auto', stop, save the game, and play later.

Agreed, "go to"-command is quite unpredictable. I still use it so that I first 'test' the route. If necessary, I break it into shorter ones. e.g. go to city A, then city B then to the final destination.

With airforce "go" is also useful, especially when it shows only the cities where to your aircraft can reach.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by cpoulos on 04-07-2001 02:48 AM
                    Considering how limited the AI is, I automate nothing.

In fact, despite I play civ for years, I also never automated them. So the question is: Does it work well? What do they do exactly? First building roads, then irrgations or mines? What do they on a hill, mine or irrgation? Do they also build forts or airbases?

------------------
                    Civ2000 hosted by CivII Universum
                    Blah

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Chris1111 on 04-06-2001 08:18 PM
                      The only time I put settlers on auto is near the end of the game when I send the ship to AC and I just want to get the game over with.

Before that point in the game fournding *citizen cities to use up settlers, disbanding settler for shield for the spacship, and try to be mostly out of them before the end of the game to get back food in the pop booming WTPD cites.
                      Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                      Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

GoTo is fairly predictable under FW.

------------------
                        Leons Petrazickis (St. Leo)
                        http://aventine.cf-developer.net/minizigg/
                        petrazi@sprint.ca
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Automated settlers have only one use. (as mentioned earlier) miracle irrigation. And that doesn't always work. But it does work enough to risk wasting a turn if it doesn't.

RAH
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I've tried automation out a few times and I didn't care for the results. Another downside is that once you automate them, it's not always so easy to get them to stop either! You tend to forget about them and you can waste several turns trying to bring back under your control.

------------------
                            "There is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp."
                            "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
                            --

Comment

quote:

I had just the opposite problem, in the moojr scenario, I had zillions of settlers all over the place, and one side of the map was railroaded over, and I wanted to send a dozen or so over to the other side, which was relatively undeveloped. I used the "Goto" command. silly me.

They took strange and devious routes to the edge of the railroaded area (who cares, it's not taking movement points), and then spun in circles, refusing to get off the RR. 14 units with the message "Long unit move. continue? yes/no".

The ridiculous thing was that there was a rail stretching across the map they could have taken, but noooo...
                              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Working...
                              X