No announcement yet.

New to Civ II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The game is pretty simple. Maybe a manual is needed if you don't get it in at least the first ten games. The basics are easy, mastery is difficult. And good luck. BTW, you might want to get prescription sleep pills, since you'll be thinking about your games night after night.

------------------
    If Al Gore invented the Internet, then I invented the spell check- Dan Quayle

If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith

She turned me into a newt...well I got better- Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jcarkey on 01-21-2001 04:12 PM
      you might want to get prescription sleep pills, since you'll be thinking about your games night after night.

Forget sleeping at least in the early days

Comment

quote:

The game is pretty simple. Maybe a manual is needed if you don't get it in at least the first ten games.

Yeah, that's probably better. But I'd buy one anyway, it rounds out your understanding of the game.

Comment

I agree with Sieve Too. The game is so complex that once you've mastered the basics, there are strategies to consider. ICS, OCC, perfection, succession, MP... and once you think you decide which aspect you like, you always seem to switch to another for grins and get submerged in it. What a game!

------------------
          Frodo lives!
          Frodo lives!

Comment

...and if you like it, you can always get AC !

Comment

What I meant to say was the game basics are pretty simple. I think the Surgeon General should have a warning on Civ2's box. "Warning: Excessive use of the contents of this box are harmful. The contents can form a dependance, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and the lack of a normal life. Beware, have caution using this product. Do not try to sue the manufacturers/ publishers of this program. Caution is advised."

------------------
              If Al Gore invented the Internet, then I invented the spell check- Dan Quayle

If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith

She turned me into a newt...well I got better- Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Comment

Well, the concensus seems to be that I should get a manual. Is there one availble on line, or at this site somewhere? (sorry, I'm not being lazy, it's just that I'm at work right now and can't spend the time to browse that I would like. But I can check this book mark occasionally)

Thanks again for everyones input

Bubba

Comment

There are a lot of good strategy guides, sadly I don't really own one. Prima probably made a good book, though...

Can anyone think of a good strat guide that beats out the manual ?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jcarkey on 01-21-2001 04:12 PM
                    The game is pretty simple. Maybe a manual is needed if you don't get it in at least the first ten games. The basics are easy, mastery is difficult.

Actually, I'd say that the game is not at all simple. There are so many concepts to learn: cities, unit, trade, gold, shields, food, happiness, reputation, governments, alliances, improvements, wonders, science, taxes, luxuries, WLT_D, hitpoints, firepower, terrain, movement, attack/defense, caravans, roads/rail, diplomats, tech tree, corruption, bribery, etc. Quite a lot there for a new player and much of it is interrelated. I can't imagine a beginner not having the manual and still understanding what's going on.

Comment

I'm sure you people bought some strat guide?

Comment

Scouse- There's a tutorial! I never knew this and I have had CivII since 1996!!!!

About strategy guides- you do not really need one if you play on the easiest difficulty level... If you want to play on harder levels, just ask the question on Apolyton and we will be glad to help you get started on your conquest of the world.

... Oh, and while you are at it, buy Alpha Centauri (Think CIV in space)

W*E*L*C*O*M*E

------------------
                        Apolyton- The Book (Webpage and Topic Thread)
                        http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum23/HTML/018747

Visit the Civgaming Network Forums:
                        http://www.civgaming.net

Visit Apolyton- The Book (The Website for the people of Apolyton)
                        http://home.att.net/~sjcfg/main.html
                        -->Visit CGN!
                        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

If the game didn't come with a manual, check the CD to see if it wasn't included there, possibly in a directory labeled, 'documentation'. Most games that wind up in the $10 rack include the manual as a .pdf on the CD.

Hope this helps!

------------------
                          The Mad Monk

"The capacity of a grass leaf to grow from the sheath
                          at its base is a useful adaptation to herbivore grazing.
                          It has also resulted, over the eons, in the piteous
                          spectacle of thousands of hominids vibrating behind
                          their lawnmowers from spring to fall."

-Someone's AP Biology Textbook
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                          X