No announcement yet.

The GIGA world map...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way. The reason I've not done extensive testing of the Ai efficiency with my gigaworld map (127x230) is because I'm working on a huge and now almost finished project : the maxiworld map. Being 143x229, without any Antartica, it should almost dwarf the gigaone. I'm then going to try to play it OCC as the Japanese ! If anyone, with some serious knowledge of geography wishes to betatest it, please let me know.

------------------
    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

by talking about AI weakness I was rather referring to general diplomatic behaviour than to expansion behaviour!

Comment

Hi Julius, i hope i didn't offend you with my comments on your new world map. I just ananlyzed it and that is what the computer stated. I am interested in your new map as well but i will allow others to test it. I willl just play it when it comes available. Remember, no more that 64 landmasses Also making japan and england a bit bigger and all connected ie wales or ireland, whichever is better so the english and japs can put more than two cities on their respective landmasses.

------------------
        Do you shovel snow in your birkenstocks?

Comment

I'm open for betatesting the map, julius

send it to

andz83@gmx.net

thank you

Comment

ooo, maxiworld...gimme gimme please!

On further thought:
            The 64 landmasses does not cause a research penalty to the AI. On looking it over, the AI still founds a lot of cities, the chinese built Cunaxa by 1600, it's just I am too huge and the map makes their empires look small.

There is a penalty though if you contact the AI early and are at war and they're really far away, they spend a long time in 'war mode'. Closer AIs tend to research better (random start was bad for them, if I chose all euro civs on historical, then they could fight and reserch as normal)
            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Seeker are you sure. I loaded the giga map world into the map editor and it said the ai would be penalized because of the extra landmasses. i will try it again just to be sure.

"more than 64 land masses have been detected.
              You may play on such a map but the intelligence level of the computer opponents may at times be slightly empaired"

well ?
              [This message has been edited by Mercantile (edited November 17, 2000).]

Comment

I would pay that no mind.There is lots of good land for the AI.
                The only thing I have noticed is it seems to use the riot factor of small maps but the research rate of large maps.
                The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I'd like to betatest your new maxtworld map!
                  Send it to me at kent-jo@world-online.no

------------------
                  Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome"
                  -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Yes, the thing about them getting stuck in 'war-mode' is true. That is how their intelligence is penalized. But they don't suffer a research penalty (except for the obvious one of being stuck in the AI war mode)
                    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mercantile on 11-17-2000 01:41 PM
                      Hi Julius, i hope i didn't offend you with my comments on your new world map.

No, of course you didn’t offense me. It’s just that I think, the more realistic, the better it is.

------------------

Comment

ok, i will take your guy's word for it. I crushed the ai too quickly this game , maybe i got lucky. I will play a new one and see what happens.

Comment

Personally, I love this map. I've been playing, lately, as the japanese, and doing the ole caravan horde deal...first world map I've seen where the japanese can land on AC in the 1600s, unopposed, without a single overseas colony!

Is that cool or what?

On the down side, I got royally creamed everytime I tried a continental tribe...something about all that expansion that made the ais beat me to a bloody pulp...but then, I used the unmodified version.

I'd be interested in trying the upcoming world map

-KhanMan
                          Odin, Thor, and Loki walk into a bar together...
                          -KhanMan

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mercantile on 11-17-2000 07:13 PM
                            "more than 64 land masses have been detected.
                            You may play on such a map but the intelligence level of the computer opponents may at times be slightly impaired"

This means that the AI will sometimes try to send units to places that they can't get to. The reason for the 64 landmass limit is that the landmasses are numbered from 0 to 63. All landmasses that are south of the northernmost tip of landmass 63 are also numbered 63. This numbering is used to define what a "continent" is for the Goto command. As a result, the AI will sometimes try to send a land unit from one continent 63 to a different continent that is also numbered 63.

------------------
                            Thus spake the Dragon
                            Thus spake the Dragon

Comment

so your saying that it doesn't affect tech rate or strategy if you can say the ai has either? I kicked ass on this game and the map is way bigger than the large world map. I found it easy, too easy in fact and was gravely disappointed. I am going to play again , this time as a different civ and see if that changes things up. Alas if only the mediterranean were larger along with europe. Too many civs in the same area generally means the warlike ones crush the weak, must have been why i won as the americans

Comment

Working...
                              X