No announcement yet.

Do You Have a Code of Honor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My ethical rules tend to be a bit vague. However, the first given is that I am not a warmonger, and my aim is to win by being first to Alpha Centauri.

I try hard not be the first to attack, but sometimes, if an AI has established a city inside my territory, I will try to knock them off before they can get too big.

Also, if I've made a treaty with someone and then his troops start tracking up my nice lean irrigated fields, I will break the treaty within a turn or two, sometimes less if I'm feeling nasty.

I don't go for the Manhattan Project, and won't use nukes. So far I haven't run into a situation where the AI has gotten nukes, so this one might be amenable to the "toss if necessary" rule.

Every so often, once I've gotten my ship built, or so near built as don't matter, I might get sick and tired of some AI city being so close to my territory and being a threat just bey existing, and will go after them. This usually happens, as I say, near the end of the game when I'm starting to get tired of this map and all its wierdnesses. And every map has its wierdnesses.

Mostly I try to be a noble and non-aggressive enemy, but on occasion I will demand tribute from an enemy just to get a war going so I can chop down some of those guys who are starting to crowd me.

Jim W

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DaveV on 11-09-2000 09:45 AMI think a true MP game should be like those old Risk games: you keep your word and expect the other guy to keep his. If he doesn't, well, an elephant never forgets .

Believe me, Dave, I always knew full well that I was running the risk of damaging my reputation during the games. Perhaps it was because we were all a bunch of cutthroats in my circle of Risk players. Part of the thrill was making the agreement and seeing how long it would be before somebody broke it. What I couldn't understand was the sometimes reaction from players who would say "But you promised!!!" Sorry. C'est la vie.

Having never played an MP game of Civ2, I would like to think that if I made a treaty in that arena, I would keep it to the end.

------------------
      Frodo lives!
      [This message has been edited by kcbob (edited November 09, 2000).]
      Frodo lives!

Comment

Code of Honor.

Dont bribe AI cities.

I prefer not to fight with Nukes. "gets really ugly"

I prefer to ally with a small AI civ and have them love me through out the game... I donate gold and soldiers for their cause, until they stab me in the back, buts thats another story.

I honor all my treaties, until it becomes profitable to break them "MPG games included"

I always notify ya when I'm breaking a treaty.

I prefer no bribing at all in MPG games..Its to much of a problem.

Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

Comment

Well, I appreciate the discussion and agree with most of it, but I would prefer the term "role playing".
          Sometimes I try to play as honestly as possible, to win without even engaging a single war, with OCC for example, with a strong "code of honor".
          But it also happens that sometimes, I try to be as barbarian as one could imagine, ravaging, pillaging, and poisoning every other civ.
          An intersting challenge is to destroy all ennemy cities without ever capturing one. I've done it on OCC at Prince Level, with many spies, it is possible.
          My next idea is "the free the world challenge" : all cities captured (with my help) by the barbarians. I should post it in the strategy forum with a few more precisions. It sounds quite hard !

------------------
          Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
          Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 11-09-2000 08:38 AM
            I'm also reminded of my days playing Risk. I would look at one of the other players and offer a treaty. Something along the lines of "If you don't attack me in Brazil for three moves, I won't attack you in North Africa for three moves." Then, one move later, I'd attack. Hey, all's fair in love and war, n'est-ce pas?

Damn ! Kcbob, you were worse than my little brother !
            We had some real little fight about Risk. And I was in a family where to play Monopoly you needed to bring paper and pens to write all the secret contracts.
            Fortunately, they were also games like chess where all was nice, clean and honest. But of course, it was then so hard to lose and to have nobody but oneself to blame for the defeat.

------------------

Comment

I have one rule that hasn't been mentioned yet (unless i missed it)

I don't kill settlers (unless they're stacked with combat units)

I do, however, kill engineers. But only when they're being used to ingnore ZOC.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jim W on 11-09-2000 09:56 PM
                I try hard not be the first to attack, but sometimes, if an AI has established a city inside my territory, I will try to knock them off before they can get too big.
                Jim W

Ha! As far as I'm concerned, establishing a city inside my territory, or on my continent, is an act of war. (Of course, I still like to keep my reputation clean -- isn't it convenient that the purchase price of those new little cities far from home is usually so cheap? :-)

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 11-10-2000 04:43 AM
                  Damn ! Kcbob, you were worse than my little brother !
                  We had some real little fight about Risk. And I was in a family where to play Monopoly you needed to bring paper and pens to write all the secret contracts.
                  Fortunately, they were also games like chess where all was nice, clean and honest. But of course, it was then so hard to lose and to have nobody but oneself to blame for the defeat.

Hey, Julius. How about a game of full contact chess?? Actually, it looks like you're about to get a challenger from the other games forum, don't you think?

------------------
                  Frodo lives!
                  Frodo lives!

Comment

After some thought I have concluded that I do not have a Code of Honor

I just have a favorite strategy, a preffered way of playing that I know how to conduct to near perfection.

This is the creation of a perfectionist empire that is completly unified (no enemy cities inside my territory and if an ally decides he doesn't care about the alliance any more I bribe the cities that he has built inside my territory).
                    Main goal is to be always ahead in technology (democratic governement - I built all the modern happy wonders I can so I can have bombers and some mobility of troops just for defencive purposed)

In this contex I
                    always try to have spotless rep,
                    Rarely use nukes, or poison city.
                    Never pay tribute unless I aboslutely have to keep a city alive.
                    Always play hardcore civ. No reloads.

Of course all this can change if the circumsances demand it and that's it when the game becomes a lot more interesting. This need to change strategies according to enemies one of the things that make CIV a great game I think. Propably the best game. Definitely the best game.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 11-10-2000 01:52 PM
                      Hey, Julius. How about a game of full contact chess?? Actually, it looks like you're about to get a challenger from the other games forum, don't you think?

------------------

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 11-10-2000 01:52 PM

Damn, my computer wanted to answer all by itself ! (Stupid machine indeed).
                        I'm sure going to get a chess challenge soon. But I ought to be (as for now) the challenger and not the challenged. Yes it looks that Smash-Carolus is near its conclusion and I should soon defy the Apolyton Chess Club World Champion.

------------------

Comment

1>if it moves, and it ain't yours, nuke it
                          2>poison water supplies, but only plant nuke devices if the city has sdis
                          3>2 war max, and 5 turns before treaty break (unless its forced by the un, cause i hate the un)
                          4>the ai's IS out to KILL YOU, NOT BE FREINDS. never forget that, and live by it.
                          5> the ai civs are talking goody huts waiting for you to claim.

da smokes doesn't really like the ai, can ya tell?
                          "our words are backed by nuclear weapons"
                          "oh, yeah. well, our nukes are backed by 100%money back guarantee, so there."

Comment

Interesting question. I'm not sure mine is so formal as to be called a "Code of Honor", but I do have habits that reflect my personality. Perhaps that is the same thing...

1. Break no treaties or cease-fires.

2. Alliances are permanent.

3. What my Ally has is mine; and mine, my Ally's.

4. Not winning is better than breaking an Alliance.

5. I will not nuke first.

6. I will take care of my environment even if my enemies do not.

7. I will not destroy an enemy's Capital to destroy a Spaceship.

8. I will play the game I see, not the game that can be discovered through bugs.

9. "Legal" does not mean the same as "fair".
                            Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                            Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                            Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                            Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Code of Honor

1) Never use Nuclear Missles (Includes not building MP)

2) Never Poison.

3) Never bribe (Unless bribed by same civ).

4) Never break treaties or alliances (Includes annoying until the other civ breaks.)

5) Never use Fundy.

6) Never use Communism.

7) Never use Monarchy.

8) When possible lux rate must be at 30%.

9) Must have good defending units in all cities.

10) Must have happy improvements before industry.

11) Never kill settlers unless blocking territory owned by me.

12) Never kill caravans unless blocking territory owned by me.

13) Never kill explorers unless invading privacy.

14) Never capture enemy cities (Unless forced).

------------------
                              "Freedom, Trade, Christantine!"

The Official Webpage of the Chrisonian Republic

The Viking Archives

The MGE Succession Game Team. Sign Up Today!
                              "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
                              "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
                              "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

Working...
                              X